Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many guys have run with one of these??
How did ya like / dislike it??
I've heard from a couple sources that they are a lot more aggressive than normal (isn't that the point??), but none of which actualy drove with one.
Sales guy was talkin like it was a bad thing :confused:
'Rachets when it disenguages'
So far options seem to be Detroit, Spool, & ARB.
They all got there good points
ARB - Selectable (Duh), more switches :D
Detroit - proven, trouble free
Spool - price tag :flipoff2:
I was sold on the Detroit, but now I wanna know how 'aggressive' the Detroit is, and if it realy is different from the regular one I have now.
It will see a lot of pavement between trails.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have been running one for about 2 yrs. I havent noticed anything out of the ordinary. It is not a (softlocker) like some of the Detroits. You should be fine. I wouldnt have it any other way. Rocky

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I've driven a friend's rig with one and would say it is less agressive than mine. I have a 31spline Detroit with the heavy springs. It's not a soft locker by any means, but the only time I would consider it harsh is when your going really slow in a parking lot - you can feel it ratchet. once actually moving or off-highway, you really don't notice it..

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Harsher depends on the vehicle, driver type and other factors. The lockers are the same except for the spline count. They can feel harsher because you now have a 35 spline shaft which torsions a lot less than the 31 spline.
I have run a 35 spline detroit (lenco) for about 5 years and I like to drive my rig around town alot.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I am just installing my new 35 spline detroit. I cannot imagine it being any different than the 31, other than what aggro said about the stiffer axles.

Keep in mind that you will need a third member with 3.25" carrier bearings to accept the bigger detroit. I just built one using a Strange nodular that I picked up on Ebay new-in-box for $215 (less the $75 pinion support).

SeanP

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Little confused by the original post.. how does a spool=pricetag?? Spools are WAY cheaper than a Detroit or a ARB. I'm building a 40 spline 9-inch with a spool.. everything from Moser.. spool was only like.. $175?

By the way, your options may be more limited than you think.. are you 100% POSITIVE that ARB makes a 35 spline version for the 9 inch? I know about a year ago they didn't.. but I haven't checked since then.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
KYODER said:

Are you sure it is not a trac-loc Sean?:p
THis time i am POSITIVE that it's a Detroit!:flipoff2:

I still haven't seen the long-rumored 9" 35 spline ARB on the market. I have never heard great things about 9" ARB's in any spline count, hence my decision for the detroit.

SeanP

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Kevin,

bet he didn't try to put an axle in it. Probably got a 31 spline unit by mistake. Said he got a great deal ?????

tony

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
TONY K said:
Kevin,

bet he didn't try to put an axle in it. Probably got a 31 spline unit by mistake. Said he got a great deal ?????

tony
Yeah, I get all my parts from a pretty questionable supplier. Nice credit terms, tho. :flipoff2: :D

SeanP

·
Wish it was my job!
2,106 Posts
Vermin said:
Little confused by the original post.. how does a spool=pricetag?? Spools are WAY cheaper than a Detroit or a ARB.
that's the point, the advantage or the spool is the price, the advantage of the detroit is reliability, and the advantage of the ARB is the selectability.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I'm not sure how much more reliable you think a Detroit will be than a solid machined piece of steel.. but I'd be willing to bet the spool wins the 'reliability' contest as well.

Probably have better road manners as well.. long as you can handle some premature tire wear.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ARB is releasing 35spl. 9" stuff (might just be experimental, not sure if it was a production thang).
The 'Detroit guy' sez the 35spliner is 'harsher' cause its set-up more for Nascar guys :confused:
Why do ya need a bigger/custom carrier?? :flipoff2:
I have most of my junk now, just pondering on the case.
ARB - to much to go wrong, too many bad stories, the option to be 'open'?? who wants that?? LOL
Detroit - the odd drive line BANG
Spool - Not tire friendly enough to conisder the price a perk. (save a couple hunny, but, buy new swampers every year).

Spool would be the choice if I didn't drive so far to the trails & junk.

Altho, you can get a 35spl. spool for a regular case, now thats a savings :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Vermin said:
I'm not sure how much more reliable you think a Detroit will be than a solid machined piece of steel.. but I'd be willing to bet the spool wins the 'reliability' contest as well.

Probably have better road manners as well.. long as you can handle some premature tire wear.
ARB are supposedly coming into production by march with thier 35spline 9" locker

personally i think it will be delayed again, although im waiting with bated breath, it should be a good thing!

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
dt. locker

I have two 35 spline DT. lockers in the rear, they get along fine together and one in the front, 80 mph in the rain in a hard turn - no promblem. Load it up 22,000 lbs. - 3,600 miles - 130 degree's in the diff's. The best money i every spent. steve differential eng. inc.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: Re: dt. locker

steve gerstner said:
Then look at the pic,1 and 2, yea there is two in the rear.
I know whatcha meant, & I understand it, but it still doesn't 'sound' right :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts