Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have Brain's ol JEEP with a 360 circa 1976, has a new carter afb[edelbrock] and I hear 340 heads are better. ok say I want to find some heads at a JY to rebuild, what heads do I use? do I use 340's? and I want a loopy sounding cam, just for shits, can someone recomend one? maybe one in the summit catalog or jegs online ect.
p.s.
this motor runs very strong, and I'm not looking for more power....just want it to sound cool:D and when the heads need tuned up, might as well go better;) anyone know the hp #'s of this motor stock? I would like 300-400 if I am going to do any head work, it needs tyo net me 75-100 hp with the cam.
thx

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
your a crazy mutha fawker.:flipoff2:

what happened to the Q-jet that was on it? i would smack a 340 cam(john has one in a 318 i gave him) in it and be done. the heads you have on it will be fine,but maybe do some bowl porting/polishing and use steel shim head gaskets, bumps the compression about 1/2 a point. thats all i'd do.:D

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Fullsize is right, 340 cam with some port work and run it. Mopar Performance makes a thin composition head gasket (Mancini Racing has 'em cheap and fast delivery) that gives the compression boost without the PITA of dealing with a steel-shim gasket.

If you really DO want to change the heads, here's the deal. Look for casting number ending in 308; last couple of years pre-Magnum. 340 heads are scarce and expensive, don't make as much power as the 308 castings (ca. 50 hp for similarly prepped heads) and lose even more low-end in comparison. The 308's have high-swirl ports to keep velocity up over a wide rpm range, flow as well as the Magnum heads (better than the conventional 340 heads) and come with hardened valve seats for unleaded, unlike original 340 heads. Only heads you can get that are better than the 308's for that engine are the W-series (W-2, W-5, W-8 etc) which require all new valve train like the 340 T/A heads and are really full-race heads without much low-end manners, hardened seats, or price appeal. Magnum heads are very good also but more difficult to swap on; different oiling, different valve train, etc. Mild port and polish job on the 308's with 2.02/1.60 valves and the Mopar '761 cam will have you pushing near 400 hp on pump gas. That cam was ground to produce the same torque as the old 340 cam but with more horsepower; it'll have a noticeable idle in a 360 but still make respectable low-end. For the 4452761 cam, duration is 268/272 with .450/.455 lift on 110* lca. The original 340 grind is available new as p/n 4452782, it has 268/276 duration with .429/.444 lift on 114 lca and would be a fine choice also; more noticeable idle due to the wider lca but at a cost of a little less width on the powerband. The '782 has nostalgia appeal, the 761 has an edge in performance. A much bigger cam than those will start eroding low-end; the single-pattern 284 and 292-duration cams are advertised to start making power around 2600 and 2800 respectively, while the solid 312 duration .590 lift unit doesn't wake up until 4000 rpm and goes to 7500.

After you wheel that Carter some you'll want the Qjet back.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lloyd said:
Fullsize is right, 340 cam with some port work and run it. Mopar Performance makes a thin composition head gasket (Mancini Racing has 'em cheap and fast delivery) that gives the compression boost without the PITA of dealing with a steel-shim gasket.

If you really DO want to change the heads, here's the deal. Look for casting number ending in 308; last couple of years pre-Magnum. 340 heads are scarce and expensive, don't make as much power as the 308 castings (ca. 50 hp for similarly prepped heads) and lose even more low-end in comparison. The 308's have high-swirl ports to keep velocity up over a wide rpm range, flow as well as the Magnum heads (better than the conventional 340 heads) and come with hardened valve seats for unleaded, unlike original 340 heads. Only heads you can get that are better than the 308's for that engine are the W-series (W-2, W-5, W-8 etc) which require all new valve train like the 340 T/A heads and are really full-race heads without much low-end manners, hardened seats, or price appeal. Magnum heads are very good also but more difficult to swap on; different oiling, different valve train, etc. Mild port and polish job on the 308's with 2.02/1.60 valves and the Mopar '761 cam will have you pushing near 400 hp on pump gas. That cam was ground to produce the same torque as the old 340 cam but with more horsepower; it'll have a noticeable idle in a 360 but still make respectable low-end. For the 4452761 cam, duration is 268/272 with .450/.455 lift on 110* lca. The original 340 grind is available new as p/n 4452782, it has 268/276 duration with .429/.444 lift on 114 lca and would be a fine choice also; more noticeable idle due to the wider lca but at a cost of a little less width on the powerband. The '782 has nostalgia appeal, the 761 has an edge in performance. A much bigger cam than those will start eroding low-end; the single-pattern 284 and 292-duration cams are advertised to start making power around 2600 and 2800 respectively, while the solid 312 duration .590 lift unit doesn't wake up until 4000 rpm and goes to 7500.

After you wheel that Carter some you'll want the Qjet back.
carter was on it when I bought it........john even said it needs an off road kit $20?????? to get it to run at angles...anyone know a part #? so I need a stoick 340 can #4452761 it will ad power and be loopy:D and heads that end in 308 from....a 360 or a 340? sorry ya lost me there;) where do I go to get thast cam? and will a 440 just bolt in?I know where a new yorker is but it's old like 62-64 would it be a 440 or a 413?
thank you! learning new shit is a trip, fun too. I don't want to swap out to a chevy:eek: any idea on the hp #'s of my 360 as it sits? It has a ton more power then my zuks 4.3L 160 hp motor and I'm sure this weighs more then the 3100lb zuk!

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
the B/RB big block does not bolt bolt in place of a 360, it requires different motor mounts and a different transmission (bolt pattern differences).
I got the offroad kit for my edelbrock, but never put it in. Napa had one on the shelf for $12. The carb used to be on Patmans old ramcharger, and he laid it on its side a few times without the engine dieing... heck the carb is better off road than a holley 4bbl :flipoff2:
the 308 heads are from an 88-93 dodge 360. Have fun finding them.. I am begining my search this weekend.. may end up hitting up 3 pull a part's.

And people wonder why i dont like wheeling my 4 runner as much as my ram....

Garrett

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The old stock 340 cam is the 782. The 761 is very much like it, but a new grind from Mopar Performance that does a bit better. ;) Those heads with the 308 casting number are from a 360; something like '89-91 trucks, but I'd need to check books to be sure of the years they were used stock. They're also available new from Mopar Performance in bare, assembled, ported, ported + big valves, iron or aluminum, etc. You can get any of those cams from Summit; Mancini Racing or Jegs would also have the cams and some of those heads too. Lots of confusion here; many of the Mopar Performance aftermarket heads are called "340" and "swirl-port" which means it's basically a 308 casting with 2.02/1.60 valves.

A big block (B or RB) from 62-64 would be either a 413 or 426. They have a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the LA engines. The bellhousing for a B or RB to an NP435 is scarce.

I don't know what FULLSIZE did to that engine so I'll let him guess HP and torque. I can play with desktop dyno for a calculated output, but need to know what information to feed it.

IMO an "offroad kit" for that carb is a waste of time, effort and money.

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lloyd said:
The old stock 340 cam is the 782. The 761 is very much like it, but a new grind from Mopar Performance that does a bit better. ;) Those heads with the 308 casting number are from a 360; something like '89-91 trucks, but I'd need to check books to be sure of the years they were used stock. They're also available new from Mopar Performance in bare, assembled, ported, ported + big valves, iron or aluminum, etc. You can get any of those cams from Summit; Mancini Racing or Jegs would also have the cams and some of those heads too. Lots of confusion here; many of the Mopar Performance aftermarket heads are called "340" and "swirl-port" which means it's basically a 308 casting with 2.02/1.60 valves.

A big block (B or RB) from 62-64 would be either a 413 or 426. They have a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the LA engines. The bellhousing for a B or RB to an NP435 is scarce.

I don't know what FULLSIZE did to that engine so I'll let him guess HP and torque. I can play with desktop dyno for a calculated output, but need to know what information to feed it.

IMO an "offroad kit" for that carb is a waste of time, effort and money.
Thx, you seem to know your bidness:D

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hick said:
the B/RB big block does not bolt bolt in place of a 360, it requires different motor mounts and a different transmission (bolt pattern differences).
ok so what's B/RB:confused: :flipoff2: what is a 383 or 440 is that a B/RB?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
SeaBass44 said:

$1,500....:eek: :eek:
Bah. Commando heads cost $1k each. Bare. Unported. Check out Indy heads, too. Except for Winston Cup engines the real money isn't in smallblock wedge heads, it's in Hemis.......:flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Lloyd said:

I don't know what FULLSIZE did to that engine so I'll let him guess HP and torque.
bought it for $50 from a guys garage, swapped the timing set and bolted it in. does it still have the husky motorcycle plugs in it?:flipoff2:

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FULLSIZE said:

bought it for $50 from a guys garage, swapped the timing set and bolted it in. does it still have the husky motorcycle plugs in it?:flipoff2:
$50!!!!!! Best deal you ever got:D Damn thing runs like a raped ape!.........LOL.............I just bought all tune up crap, so When I swap out to ND plugs, I will know;) So any idea of the stock HP on a 76 360 4brl????????? I know it's more then 160, cause the zuk had that and this has to weigh more then it did, 3,100lbs...I'll have to get this one weighed.
..........Brain, are ya going to be ready to do the com on M-Day? bought 70 days away!

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
i know that my 77 motor is rated at 165 horse @ 4000rpm and i think 240 ft/lbs @ 1500

I have the Carter(edelbrock) and i wish i would have sprung for a q-jet, i miss my thermo-quad, gotta love secondary the size of your fist

·
Registered
15 Posts
360's are fun little motors,I'm building my 3rd 360 as we speak. You can do several things...heads: port them out to 2.02in. and1.60exh. and polish them and a nice bowl blending. OR you can find a set of "j" heads somewhere,when you look directly down at them in between the front 2 plugs it should say "j" or "x" or "o" on them,and the slap those suckers on it. As for the cam,in summit I would go with the DCC- 4452761....it's a nice lobey cam for ya. And then stick a Edelbrock RPM air gap intake...and an edelbrock 750cfm on there...very nice.:D

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
SeaBass44 said:

$50!!!!!! Best deal you ever got:D Damn thing runs like a raped ape!.........LOL.............I just bought all tune up crap, so When I swap out to ND plugs, I will know;) So any idea of the stock HP on a 76 360 4brl????????? I know it's more then 160, cause the zuk had that and this has to weigh more then it did, 3,100lbs...I'll have to get this one weighed.
..........Brain, are ya going to be ready to do the com on M-Day? bought 70 days away!
the jeep weighed 4200 with me on board and a half of a fuel cell full. its got enough power, just ask phil or curtis(hehehehe). there really is nothing modified as far as i know. with the Q-jet it would idle down to 400 rpm under load so i know it doesnt have a performance cam. i think its the gears that give it the snap, really.

no problem on making memorial weekend with the dodge. it'll be kinda wierd wheelin with my old jeep and the new vehicle on the same run. hope the dodge doesnt get jealous:flipoff2:. got the thing to crank over last night, so it should only be a couple more days til it runs and my yokes and front driveshaft are on their way as we speak. after that just gotta bleed the brakes and some other little things and i'll be ready to go.;)

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FULLSIZE said:

the jeep weighed 4200 with me on board and a half of a fuel cell full. its got enough power, just ask phil or curtis(hehehehe). there really is nothing modified as far as i know. with the Q-jet it would idle down to 400 rpm under load so i know it doesnt have a performance cam. i think its the gears that give it the snap, really.

no problem on making memorial weekend with the dodge. it'll be kinda wierd wheelin with my old jeep and the new vehicle on the same run. hope the dodge doesnt get jealous:flipoff2:. got the thing to crank over last night, so it should only be a couple more days til it runs and my yokes and front driveshaft are on their way as we speak. after that just gotta bleed the brakes and some other little things and i'll be ready to go.;)
Great! I put the Terra Low dear set up 4sale, if I think I need it, I'll by another one later on;)

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
the thing crawled badass with the stock gears and the 5.89/5.86's in the diffs. 4:1 was gonna be too much. its 102:1 right now.

also, i'd ditch the carter. it'll let you down everytime. try to find a Q-jet from someone. look in the hot rod mag and there is a guy who re-builds them in different stages. the stage 1 Q-jet would be an awesome upgrade.:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts