Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running out of options ..... anyone know where to get a 37" tire balanced in boulder, co? (NTB could do it when I lived back east, but everyone here says they can't do anything bigger than a 33"). I haven't called 4 wheel parts yet, but the only place i've found is John's 4x4 & he's wanting $200 for a set of 4!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Also, anyone every used Equal Tire Balancer? any opinions?
T

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Predator 4x4 in Colorado Springs will dismount/mount and balance 36 bolt beadlocks for $50. Boulder isn't that far. Give them a hollar. They will do 37" BTW.

Way

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Not to slam anyone but....

The guys over at D-web are really liking that Equal Tire Balancer. Seems like an easy fix for beadlocks that are a pain to get balanced.

Ho and John are selling it on their site, I don't know where else you can get it besides them (and direct from the manufacturer).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
most of the guys i chat with on 37's don't bother to balance the tires, fwiw . . . (but they're all on swampers)

i have a couple of friends that use equal in 32's and they seem to like it. i've been thinking about getting one of those $39 harbor freight tire-changing tools, a box full of "equal' wholesale from somewhere and forever saying bye-bye to tire shops (at least for the rover)

to run the equal you have to make a small modification to your valve stem, and it's advisable to run steel stemp caps

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
36 sx's , and I have never balanced them. Rides like a dream:rolleyes: :D No really, it is not bad at all, they actually smooth out really nicely at high speed for some reason. but I have about 175lbs rolling mass in tire and rim, and yours is probably not that much.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mine are more like a 110-120 (guessing). I wouldn't worry too much about it if I didn't have to do long hwy drives (eg- 5 hrs to Moab and 10 hrs to cruces). I did find a place this morning that is going to do it for $40 (4 tires).

T

·
Registered
283 Posts
What about...

What about Centramatic wheel balancers?

Review Here

They are fairly popular with the jeep guys and from what I have seen work very well. The biggest size tire I've seen them used on is a 35" MT/R though.

Personally I like these better than equal because of your OBA spits out even a tiny bit of oil then the equal starts to clump.

Justin

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Re: What about...

JMyerz said:
What about Centramatic wheel balancers?
Personally I like these better than equal because of your OBA spits out even a tiny bit of oil then the equal starts to clump.

Justin
That's why I'm thinking of buying a small scale and a carton of BB's.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Anyone know if a BB will fit inside the schrader valve without the core?

Billster

with visions of sitting in the garage and inserting hundreds of BB one by one this way:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
LOL! :flipoff2:

That's the only thing that's been holding me back! The question of the BB size that is! Hehe.

The beadlocks would be no problem, but the other 20 tires I own would pose a bigger problem.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
4 Wheel Parts now sells Equal.

Regarding getting a tire balanced in Boulder, Dunno. However I am sure that 4 Wheel Parts could do it. They are near Boulder, but not in Boulder.

BTW I really don't like 4 Wheel Parts, it's just that they come to mind. Also you might check Discount Tire. They do 35's for sure. I believe they sell 37's. Couldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Agreed...

I bought my BFGs from 4WP and they could never get them balanced right, so I went to Americas Tire and they balanced them first try. I know they do 36" SXs up here in OR, so I imagine those 37 MT/Rs would fit

Justin

lwg said:
4 Wheel Parts now sells Equal.

Regarding getting a tire balanced in Boulder, Dunno. However I am sure that 4 Wheel Parts could do it. They are near Boulder, but not in Boulder.

BTW I really don't like 4 Wheel Parts, it's just that they come to mind. Also you might check Discount Tire. They do 35's for sure. I believe they sell 37's. Couldn't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm actually considering the golf ball thing.. Unless I can find some non-steel bb's that won't corrode if a little water gets in my tire. Or maybe just add a little oil in there to start with and lube 'em up good!

Of course, you guys know you don't need a tire shop to put these into any tire. Just take the tire off, take out the core (faster deflation), and put your high lift next to the bead and under your rear bumper. A little work with the jack and you'll pop the bead right off. Then insert your stuff, and re-inflate using the nearest handy compressor. The trick to re-seating the bead with a low volume compressor is to use a ratchet strap around the tread of the tire to push it in and make the beads fit tighter against the wheel. Then, re-inflate like normal. Don't forget to remove the ratchet strap once the bead seats though!

-John

·
Registered
67 Posts
Copper washed steel. That's how they stuck to the magnet on the bolt face and didn't roll out the end of the barrel when you were humping through the bush on S&D missions.

Ken

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Call me. I can get you done at any goodyear company store. I believe northglen is the closest to you. Let me know.

j

3039068693 is my mobile.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tiresource in Boulder .... $6.50-$10/tire depending on how many weights they use ..... I pick them up tomorrow..... amazing that I may get out of this for $26 and John's 4x4 wanted $200!!!

.... let the fender trimming begin!!!:D
T

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
And when you rip all the weights off, then you can go to golf balls' and be done with it forever....

BTW, anyone know how many golf-balls will balance a 42" TSL?....Awe, never mind...

--D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
if this doesn't work, i'll try golf balls next -- Doug, you better buy the bonus pack :D

got them mounted, though ... along with the "heim'ed" steering and new rear links .... just gotta replace an engine mount, do some trimming, retain the front springs, and find a way to mount a softtop and tailgate without having the hardware I need ... & she'll be ready for cruces!! can't wait :bounce: :bounce2: :bounce:!!!
T

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
RockRover said:
And when you rip all the weights off, then you can go to golf balls' and be done with it forever....

BTW, anyone know how many golf-balls will balance a 42" TSL?....Awe, never mind...

--D
I recall a disussion on the general board (or maybe it was chit chat:flipoff2: ) about using mouse balls. http://www.mouseballs.com

Just another thought.

-Jeff

1 - 20 of 25 Posts