Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running 35s for ever now and I think I found a good deal on some 37x15 boggers.

the only thing is this is going to be on my DD....is that crazy to run boggers on a dd? I haven't had boggers yet, had about everything else on 35" but not boggers.

would it be dumb to run those on the street. so far everything I have found says they don't last to long on the street.

any thoughts?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Seems like a question of how good of deal it is. If you need tires, and the 37’s are a REALLY good deal, then why not? Certainly they will wear fast on the street, but if the cost is so good that you don’t care how long they last, then go for it. A simple cost/benefit analysis will solve your dilemma. :eek:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tried that but realized Ididn't have enough information.

here's the deal: 37" boggers with 80% tread left for $550/4 tires

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
thats a decent deal.. but why not get them for trail duty.. and run the 35s ya got now on the road. boggers wont last long on road .. now if ya only drive 3 miles 2 work it would be ok.. but if ur driving any distance keep the 35s for street use.. and 37 off road baby.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Get the boggers and cut off all the little luggs and use them for trail duty only.

The boggers are MUCH louder and rougher on road than just about any other tire out there. They don't balance well at all. I'd keep the 35s for DD duty till they wear out, then get some cheep 35" ATs for the street. Make the boggers last as long as you can that way and still have a good on road ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I recently got a pretty good deal on some 37" boggers. They are about trash with 9K on them, road and trail duty, But as far as the trail tires go save your $$ and buy some swampers or MTR's.:D

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's not crazy it's stupid. Soon as the spring/summer comes those tires are going to go by in 2 months tops. I've watched the tread go down on a hot summer day on a DD rig with boggers. They are in no way made for the road. It will be the worst investment you ever make.

Ben

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Benji said:
It's not crazy it's stupid. Soon as the spring/summer comes those tires are going to go by in 2 months tops. I've watched the tread go down on a hot summer day on a DD rig with boggers. They are in no way made for the road. It will be the worst investment you ever make.

Ben
I live in Sunny California and somehow boggers don't wear too badly out here. Maybe your friend needs to get an alignment.

I would go with the 35"s and DD it, then run 37"s for trail duty...just as someone else said. makes sense, don't it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds like a plan to me thanks for the help.

now as far as side ways traction on the bogger i head they pretty much suck on the rocks. for example I run slick rock at tellico alot. that rock has been compared to eel snot.

I have read to run boggers backwards and sipe the hell out of them, think that will work?

·
Registered
788 Posts
I didn't find the noise or vibration that bad. The only reason I quit using Boggers on my DD is the wet pavement traction. Stopping distance is probably three times that of a normal tire, and it's way too easy to lock 'em up. When it was dry out, they were fine, though. Hope that helps.
Chris

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the replies but I ahve been talked out of it.

he wants $600 for them and when I saw the pics there was less than 50% tread on it I would say. over priced in my opion.

oh well back to the MTR or the SSR debate.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Used to drive mine on the street some with boggers, it sucked, but was not crazy, and yes they will wear very fast on the street, dont even try to balance them., And boggers suck compared to the TSL swamper, except in mud.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
actually, that is "T's" Jeep of P&T. The Boggers he has strapped on are the tires that stay on my TJ. It's not my daily but I drive it on the road as often as I can (ticket to sunshine ratio).

Oddly enough I've always loved them on a wet road, they don't hydroplane near as much as other meats. I've had 33's, 35's, & now 37's. I ran the 33's when it was my daily. When cold they harden pretty bad and will take a while to soften up.

To the question of DD or not...well...I'm mostly indifferent to the Q but would lean to maybe look somewhere else espically if you have to do much highway driving....

·
Registered
768 Posts
I say if you don't mind the tires burning up in a season or two go for it. Hope you like a harsh ride as well. As others are saying save the 35's for the road and use the bogers for the dirt.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts