Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share a recent project I have been working on. I have been driving around with 35" tires on my FZJ80. I had 529's in it and saved enough coin to get 37" tires on there.

My goal with this project was to get the same travel as a vehicle lifted 7" but staying at my current height of 3.5 - 4 inches. I currently have J springs and a 2" Metal tech spacer. I ordered the radflo shocks from metal tech and got to cutting up my rig to make this work. Here are the details.

Again, The goal fitting these on here without going any higher and keep it looking stock-ishhh...

Here she sits before the project begins:

Cutting 3" off the fender lips :eek:

The inner Fender Needs to be raised 3" to match the cut fenders Here is the before:

Here is the Inner Fender Cut up and banged on to get it to line up with new outer fender line:

More to Come..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continuing the 37" Fitment on the FZJ80

The next four shots show the fender lip I have created and the inner fender filled with the pizza cuts filled with scrap sheet metal:

I then filled and covered the inner fender with seam sealer here is the finished product on the drivers side before I reinstall the fenders:

Here is the Fender reinstalled on the passanger side. Here you can see how it will fit and how much of the slider and bumper I will now need to cut. Maybe I should be saving for 40" tires :smokin:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Body Work Begins - Fitting 37" Tires on my FZJ80

So I have now reattached the fenders. Seam sealed the connection of inner fender and outer fender. Applied minimal (skim coat of bondo), Sanded, and primed. Here is how she is sitting now:

Here she is out front. Patched all holes from the trim, and fixed some dents on drivers side where my slider pushed through some rotten wood:

Now she is primed and ready for the bedliner application:

Whats left? Cutting bumper, sliders, bedliner, and figuring out a better way to mount the spare on the rear bumper. :eek:

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
awesome! now you need to trim your arb...mine's ugly, but i took just over an inch out of the end

·
Registered
837 Posts
quit pimpn the shop name :D still have the 40? haven't seen it out front in a while

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Pretty cool, one of my back burner projects has been custom glass fenders to accomplish the same thing. I'm running 37's on a 2.5" OME

·
Registered
294 Posts
I cut the entire lower lip off of the ARB front bumper. Used steel to plate the bottom of it on the sides with a piece of round DOM in between the new lower plate and the top. IIRC I shortened those sides about 3" which looks like about what you need. Before if you put a Hi-lift on the side of the bumper it would flex a lot. Now, no flex. I wanted to make a little pocket, or sleeve that the Hi-lift would slide into to help stabilize while lifting the truck. It is worthwhile to cut up the ARB IMO, since you can redo the front tow points/shackle mounts and make them stronger and gain clearance.

What are you going to do on the rear? Cut the 1" lip off of the fender? Or, get crazy and get into hacking the door?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pimpin the shop name? Maybe

quit pimpn the shop name :D still have the 40? haven't seen it out front in a while
I might have slipped a shot of the sign in there:D

Yes, I still have the 40... Its next. I have a th400 going into it, power steering, and some other odds and ends that I am still gathering components for. Should be starting that project up again in 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
37" tires on the fj80

I cut the entire lower lip off of the ARB front bumper. Used steel to plate the bottom of it on the sides with a piece of round DOM in between the new lower plate and the top. IIRC I shortened those sides about 3" which looks like about what you need. Before if you put a Hi-lift on the side of the bumper it would flex a lot. Now, no flex. I wanted to make a little pocket, or sleeve that the Hi-lift would slide into to help stabilize while lifting the truck. It is worthwhile to cut up the ARB IMO, since you can redo the front tow points/shackle mounts and make them stronger and gain clearance.

What are you going to do on the rear? Cut the 1" lip off of the fender? Or, get crazy and get into hacking the door?
I am not going to do anything with the rear lip yet. I want to see how bad it rubs. I am thinking I may go a different route and lengthen control arms just enough to avoid the rub.

As for the bumper, I will be cutting it and adding some strength to it. It definetly is flimsy with no lower steel. I have also thought about fabing a place for the highlift on all four corners. My brother has the 4x4labs rear bumper which has the highlift insert. I am thinking I will copy that make a template and plasma cut the same shape at all four coreners.... We will see.

What did you do to strengthen the tow points on the front ARB?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More Progress on fitting the 37" tires on the fzj80

Here are some more pics of the progress:

Cutting Sliders & Bumper - Taking 3" off of each side.

I took the end cap off first so I could reweld it.

I then took the length out I needed:

Here is how it will look welded back on... I hope

Next I got to cutting the ARB Bumper - 3" go bye bye in a hurry due to the plasma cutter:

Here it is chopped:

Next I got around to welding things back togethor bumper end cap:

Modified Sliders:

·
Registered
607 Posts
Sounds like you are doing exactly what I did. As for the rear, I wouldn't trim it, just roll the fenders. If your wheel BS is correct (and it looks to be based on your pics), you will be fine. I cut my rear fenders and I wish I wouldn't have.

·
Registered
294 Posts
jeeeez, that was 10 years ago.... !

that bar stock that we used to make the shackle mounts was about 7" long and welded inside on the bottom and then welded along the top edge of the vertical plate inside also, and back side of the front plate and front side that you see. I never worried about them after that, i figured frame damage was more probable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fitting 37" Tires - More pictures

he'll be going to 40's soon
Probably, Going to need a TRD Supercharger first and a second job to pay for it.

Ok, more progress pictures.... Taping the line for the bed liner. Its going to be black bedliner from the Flourescent green tape down. I am using the roll on bedliner as the guy that does line-x wants over $3,000. :flipoff2:

Pulled inside for final prep before bedliner goes on - using grizzly grip.

Here is the other side:

·
Registered
555 Posts
It looks good!

I met your brother a couple days ago when I dropped my wife's car off for some work. I had my 40 with the kiddo's there.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
over $3k+ for just that :eek:

I didn't even pay that for my entire vehicle inside and out to be done in color

Looking good! Really like how the front fenders came out.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts