Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a new set of tires and can not make up my mind on which would be better.

I mostly run stuff like Hot Srings, Ar and Potouea, Ok (sp?) and some at disney. My toy truck weighs in @ 3800 lbs.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
go with the TSL. from the conditions your rig will be going through(muddy i believe), like TEX said, the TSl works much better in the mud.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm looking at the 38.5x14.50x15 or 38.5x16x15 on a 15x10 wheel. The conditions are mostly creeks and rocky washouts with the execption of disney which is one big rock that is several acres big and located behind the dams at the grand lake.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
None of the locations he's listed have much mud guys. Lots of wet rocks and some steep, dirt hillclimbs maybe... but not enough mud to choose the TSL over the SX just for that.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I've wheeled at every spot you mentioned. I'd go SX, I've seen substantial better performance w/ the SX. more of the locals that live near those sites run SX's too, that always counts for something...

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
P&T jeeps said:
I've wheeled at every spot you mentioned. I'd go SX, I've seen substantial better performance w/ the SX. more of the locals that live near those sites run SX's too, that always counts for something...
Yeah, I forgot to mention that. Last time I was in Hot Springs I was on 36" TSLs and three other rigs with us had 38.5 SXs. I've got a set sitting out back now. :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'mwithin 2 hours of those places and the people i run with all run tsl, but i was thinking about trying somthing diff this time around, mabe even a 37x13x16 bogger

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
A buddy of mine runs 37" boggers on his CJ. Wasn't bad on the first day of our last ride in Hot Springs, but it rained all night, and then he had to keep backing up to get back onto the line on day #2.

Had a hell of a time running the rock garden... we ended up giving up. I don't know if SXs would have stuck that day, as no one else tried it, but I'm leery of boggers on any terrain that isn't muddy now...

...But cut the little lugs out and they do kick ass in the mud. :D

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I ran 37" Boggers a couple of months ago in Hot Springs when it was we too. I really didn't have any probs that others were't having. I actually felt I had an advantage in certain spots. One day is different than the next IMO when it comes to rubber type.

I've had great luck w/ Boggs so I'm sticking w/ them...

·
Registered
46 Posts
TSL's for mud
SX's for rock crawlin.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've never seen the sx's up close and I have the tsl's But from what I can tell the side wall is the major difference isnt it?
So why such a difference in mud/rocks?

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
The tread pattern of the SX is a good deal tighter than the TSLs, which works better in the mud.

Also, the stiffer carcass of the SX tends to always have a crown to it, so the fatty lugs at the corner of the tread don't poke out quite so much. Still works much better than any radial tire by a long margin... it's just not in the same league as a bogger in the slop.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
TSL = uh... TSL.
Bogger = "TSL" bogger. Just no one bothers to refer to it as the "Three Stage Lug BOgger" :;)
SX = TSL/SX

1 - 19 of 19 Posts