Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get my girlfriend one for concealed weapons permit.
We live in CA.
Price rang 1,500
We have 3 1911 she likes but whants some thing more tame.
Any help would be good.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am Mexican:flipoff2:
It is like a 357 sig but way better.
Our my Heinnz 57 Apache white boy:flipoff2:

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
This is the worst idea ever.

Carrying handloads? A heavy-ass bulky 1911 in an oddball caliber? for carry?

There's a reason that only diehard IPSC competitors who hand-load shoot 38 Super.

I'd tell you to get that girl a 9mm, but you'll invariably be one of those goobers who hates 9mm... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
This is the worst idea ever.

Carrying handloads? A heavy-ass bulky 1911 in an oddball caliber? for carry?

There's a reason that only diehard IPSC competitors who hand-load shoot 38 Super.

I'd tell you to get that girl a 9mm, but you'll invariably be one of those goobers who hates 9mm... :rolleyes:
Buy a 1911 in .40 S&W if she likes that style action, but can't handle the .45

You get the knock down power of the .40 without the heavier recoil.

Check out Kimber. They make some really nice 1911 setups, and many of them are chambered in .40 S&W This is a link to their page.

"Pro Carry pistols are available with a wide variety of features like night sights, Crimson Trace® Lasergrips®, tactical rail and frontstrap checkering. Most are chambered in .45 ACP, but 9mm, 38 Super and .40 are also available."
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/compactprocarry/

By the way, factory loads are the way to go in a defense pistol, and .38 Super is not a great choice for a defense piece. Too fast and too narrow. When shooting balistic gel, they will tend to shoot like the .357 Sig which has a tendency to overpenetrate. Go with the .40 or .45 cal. You'll have much better results.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Buy a 1911 in .40 S&W if she likes that style action, but can't handle the .45

You get the knock down power of the .40 without the heavier recoil.

Check out Kimber. They make some really nice 1911 setups, and many of them are chambered in .40 S&W This is a link to their page.

"Pro Carry pistols are available with a wide variety of features like night sights, Crimson Trace® Lasergrips®, tactical rail and frontstrap checkering. Most are chambered in .45 ACP, but 9mm, 38 Super and .40 are also available."
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/compactprocarry/

By the way, factory loads are the way to go in a defense pistol, and .38 Super is not a great choice for a defense piece. Too fast and too narrow. When shooting balistic gel, they will tend to shoot like the .357 Sig which has a tendency to overpenetrate. Go with the .40 or .45 cal. You'll have much better results.

Thanks I will try the .40 in the 1911.
She shot my .40 Glock and thought it was a pos next to my 1911.
But I think she would LIke it in the 1911:D

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Thanks I will try the .40 in the 1911.
She shot my .40 Glock and thought it was a pos next to my 1911.
But I think she would LIke it in the 1911:D
Check out Para Ordnance too. They make a really nice 1911, the P16-40 which is a full sized frame with 16 rounds of .40 S&W. It might be too large for her as a concealed piece, but you could check out their site to see if they make a smaller version.

My brother has a P13-45 alloy frame that he dropped $1600 on, and that .45 is about as nice as the semi-customs come. You can throw down big bucks on Wilsons and other high end stuff, but you can still get the job done for a more reasonable price with Para or Kimber.

Para Ordnance...
http://www.paraord.com/

Here is a list of a few of the Para .40's, but they look like they are only available in the full sized frame.
http://www.paraord.com/product/search_result.html

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
California sucks:mad3:
The gun she whants is not on the list.
Yeah, we have the "safe approved list" which is the biggest freaking joke ever. Idiots.

What county are you in? I'm up in the North Bay Area where CCW Licenses are about as common as seeing Rosie O'Donnell putting down a cupcake. It just doesn't happen.

If she can't get a .40 in a 1911 frame, she might want to try out a 1911 framed .45 with lighter loads. It would still give her the feel she wants without the heavy recoil. That, or get a 9mm in the 1911 frame, which I wouldn't waste good money on.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If she can't get a .40 in a 1911 frame, she might want to try out a 1911 framed .45 with lighter loads. It would still give her the feel she wants without the heavy recoil. That, or get a 9mm in the 1911 frame, which I wouldn't waste good money on.

That is true on the 9mm.
We are in Butte and it is ez to get one:D
We are 4 hours from you north west.
She loves my Colt commander with lighter loads and she really whants my Smith & Wesson Performance Center 1911. But I dont whant to have to pay to give her one of my guns so I will try to see if we can find any thing on the list she likes. She hates lightweight pistols does not like the kick and recovery time.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
That is true on the 9mm.
We are in Butte and it is ez to get one:D
We are 4 hours from you north west.
She loves my Colt commander with lighter loads and she really whants my Smith & Wesson Performance Center 1911. But I dont whant to have to pay to give her one of my guns so I will try to see if we can find any thing on the list she likes. She hates lightweight pistols does not like the kick and recovery time.
Yeah, the alloy frame P13-45 is really light to carry, but it's a handful when it's time to get it done. I'm a big guy, so the carry weight is less of an issue, since it makes the recoil easier to deal with. I tend to like steel frames anyway.

What you might consider doing is giving her one of your guns since she can try a few and get comfortable with one, and you can turn around and buy a new piece, maybe something with a nice trigger job, some custom work, etc...;) She probably even knows what she wants already.

You can take the $1500 that's allotted to her project, add a few more bucks and get yourself something really nice. Maybe a sweet Wilson or something...

For the guy who has everything and a bank account to match...
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/

Everyone wins! :D

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Its a 9mm but, I picked up a older FEG PJK-9HP. Its a Browning high power clone. Small enough to carry easily and very accurate. I grabbed the thing, shoved a full 14 round clip into it and put a 1" group out first thing. Very nice gun. Recoil is a tic lighter than my PT1911, ammo is cheap in 9mm para and the balance is almost perfect. Makes me want to go but a Browning too. :p

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yeah, the alloy frame P13-45 is really light to carry, but it's a handful when it's time to get it done. I'm a big guy, so the carry weight is less of an issue, since it makes the recoil easier to deal with. I tend to like steel frames anyway.

What you might consider doing is giving her one of your guns since she can try a few and get comfortable with one, and you can turn around and buy a new piece, maybe something with a nice trigger job, some custom work, etc...;) She probably even knows what she wants already.

You can take the $1500 that's allotted to her project, add a few more bucks and get yourself something really nice. Maybe a sweet Wilson or something...

For the guy who has everything and a bank account to match...
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/

Everyone wins! :D

I would but I have over 1,600 in one gun and that is my cheapest one. I just cant keep them stock:D
She all so shot the SW Scandium 1911 and it was not fun at all for her.
In California we are limited on what we can get ten round capacity and what is on the list. So a lot of the companys will not send in guns to get on the list do to the cost. So we are very limited on what we can get:mad3:
I whent on CA doj list and my guns are no longer on the list so I think I cant give her one.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
You should be able to transfer any gun you currently have, so giving her one shouldn't be a problem.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
"Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement."

·
Premium Member
30,199 Posts
Thread hijack!!

From a non-reloading, new gun owner- why not carry handloads for self defense? Are they not as good as factory?
Because a mouth breathing trial lawyer will use that against you in a civil court arguing that you specifically designed a load to kill.

A .45 in a 1911 is not hard to handle IMO and a .40 S&W is a snappy round unless you carry it in a heavy gun. JMO

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Because a mouth breathing trial lawyer will use that against you in a civil court arguing that you specifically designed a load to kill.

A .45 in a 1911 is not hard to handle IMO and a .40 S&W is a snappy round unless you carry it in a heavy gun. JMO

Bingo. Thats the word I was looking for, snappy.

I've shot a few .40's and didn't really like 'em. I keep going back to the .45 acp. The 9mm para is about the same feel, just a little lighter recoil.

My wife who is a inexperienced shooter took the PJK and ran her first clip though it. Didn't hit shit. She adjusted her stance and second clip, put 10 into a 10" group at 30 feet. Then she took my .45 and put 7 into a 6" group. She went back to the 9 and put 10 in a 6" after sending the first 2 12" right.

Haulin, I'd look at a high power myself. Cheap to shoot, perfect CCW size and if you don't like it, easy to resell without taking anything a loss. There is actually some collector value in Browning High Powers.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts