Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching for about the last 4 hours and can't seem to find the right search combo to get the answers I need. I'm starting a new buggy with 3800 series II sc motor to a 700r4(60* block and tranny) to dual yota cases. Figured out the ecu thing, calling Jim's monday morning. Here's the questions I have:
1. Which flywheel and Torque converter do you use? The one from the donor blazer or the 3800 one? Any spacers needed?
2. On the kick down cable, just use one from Lokar?
Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Blazer TC, mine is just a stock one. I am using a stock 700R4 kickdown cable, that has the adjuster built in.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. Wich flywheel did you use?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Go look at the threads that kiwipushrod has in the toyota forum, he's done extensive research on those motors.....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the yota cases will be the weak link. Already have longfield output in it so maybe I'll be ok...I hope, if not I'm leaving some room for a stak.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Been searching for about the last 4 hours and can't seem to find the right search combo to get the answers I need. I'm starting a new buggy with 3800 series II sc motor to a 700r4(60* block and tranny) to dual yota cases. Figured out the ecu thing, calling Jim's monday morning. Here's the questions I have:
1. Which flywheel and Torque converter do you use? The one from the donor blazer or the 3800 one? Any spacers needed?
2. On the kick down cable, just use one from Lokar?
Thanks for the help guys.
Or you could....

There is an adapter to bolt the 3800 to a turbo 350/ 400. I'm in the process right now. I'm using the 3800 flywheel & ordering a tc for a turbo 350 with the smaller flywheel bolt pattern. Adapter is cheep!! $65

·
pro web-wheeler
21,640 Posts
There is an adapter to bolt the 3800 to a turbo 350/ 400.
??? We want to shove a powerglide behind a gen II supercharged 3800 and we're thinking of making our own. If you know where to pick that up, we'd sure appreciate the info as we're ready to pick one up immediatly.

·
Registered
966 Posts
??? We want to shove a powerglide behind a gen II supercharged 3800 and we're thinking of making our own. If you know where to pick that up, we'd sure appreciate the info as we're ready to pick one up immediatly.
Rocmojo on the board has been running one of the speedway adapters for almost a year now with no issues, not sure about the pattern of a powerglide though.

I used the 3800 flywheel, had to use 1/2" spacers between the flywheel and converter. I cant remember if I had to drill the flywheel or not.

·
Registered
184 Posts
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chevy-4-and-V6-to-TH350-Adapter-Plates,3280.html

I got mine a speedway motors. They come with the t/c converter spacer.
You'll have to do some grinding on the block & transmission, but, it's just a little here & there. It should be in stock.

There is also some different style of oil filter locaters. My factory was right beside the balancer. I order a different style that move the oil filter from 6o'clock to the 3o'clock postion. Hopefully it will give me some more clearence. Should be here Wednes. or Thurs.

Low Lock

·
Registered
997 Posts
Dustin I wish I knew that I could have picked one up here in NJ and braught it out to missouri

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm running a NA motor.. 1/2 spacers welded to the bolt locations on the torque converter, nose on converter just the right length to still fit the crank. Useing the s10 converter, the stalls pretty high. i imagine with the sc it would be higher.
never knew the 60degree to th350 adapter existed. I was lokking to put a 4l60e behind it but could never find one with the right bellhousing.

tech: on na motors, the intake can be reversed to have the throttle body on the front, and the t-stat. waterpump loses some material and so does the intake, but no problems.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
If you are outting in a 3.8sc series 2 and couplling it to the chev bell housing with the speed way plate and kit...

The starter on the tranny is on the pass side

the starter on the motor is on the drivers side.

you will have to grind/cut/drill/tap a new spot to put one..

Tips:
Make sure to put a bit of silicone on the knock sensor
Port match the intake to the SC
Get a set of headers cause the stock manifolds are not the greatest
Get a 160 t stat
Dont go more than a 3.4" pulley without alot of work
Cam and pulley change makes about 60 hp
Dont bother with 3.8 lifters, get LS lifters and throw a couple away for less than half the price.
Install a north star throttle body, (make an adapter)
LS1 Mass air flow sensor and extend the harness further away from the TB
Run copper AC Delco plugs, cooler the better (T44's)
8MM wires are minimum.
Cover the ignition control module of you ever hit water or get it rained on, the plug in is junk and weeps water into the connection, wrecking the ICM.
Relocate the oil filter
Any engine work is easy as pie to do.

Check out http://www.intense-racing.com/ for any or all of your engine problems. They are one of the best companies I have dealt with in a long time.

OR for engine tech, check out http://www.3800pro.com/index.php

·
Registered
343 Posts
Tips:
Get a 160 t stat
Dont bother with 3.8 lifters, get LS lifters and throw a couple away for less than half the price.
8MM wires are minimum.
Cover the ignition control module of you ever hit water or get it rained on, the plug in is junk and weeps water into the connection, wrecking the ICM.
Relocate the oil filter
I agree with all of the above. GREAT motors and great power for the money. The aftermarket is solid, but not up to LS series levels.

The AW4 / A340 series transmissions will also bolt up with the right bellhousing.

Working on getting this one in my YJ right now

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you are outting in a 3.8sc series 2 and couplling it to the chev bell housing with the speed way plate and kit...

The starter on the tranny is on the pass side

the starter on the motor is on the drivers side.

you will have to grind/cut/drill/tap a new spot to put one..

Tips:
Get a 160 t stat
8MM wires are minimum.
Relocate the oil filter

Check out http://www.intense-racing.com/ for any or all of your engine problems. They are one of the best companies I have dealt with in a long time.

OR for engine tech, check out http://www.3800pro.com/index.php
I wish someone would have told me to "grind/cut/drill/tap" so I could put my starter on because I just bolted it on there! I did modify the driver side of the dust cover for the starter but that's it. No other mods necessary.

I am using the stock L67 flex plate and had a custom 10" TH350 TC made that has the right bolt pattern, spacing and crank stub made right in. I started with around a 2500 stall and it sucked REALLY bad for crawling so went back to factory 1700 or so and now it's great.

Derek is right I haven't had any problems with the speedway adapter. I built custom headers, 3.4" pulley, 180 t-stat, autolite 104's, and a tune from http://fastfieros.com/. Motor runs very well:D

I used a Gates partr# 19025 to connect the heater core fittings together.

I used the stock TH350 kick down and a GM bracket we had laying around. Not sure what the app is? Just drilled one hole and bent it a little and bolted it to the block off plate I made for the PCV valve.

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
So what are you guys doing for a wiring harness? I've seen a ton of places that sell reflashed ECUs but no standalone wiring harnesses.

·
Registered
966 Posts
So what are you guys doing for a wiring harness? I've seen a ton of places that sell reflashed ECUs but no standalone wiring harnesses.
Making our own out of the factory harness.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Just did mine, I will post the pin outs in the next few weeks. Or Jims performance will do it for you for like 300 bucks and flash the pcm for 200.

Best of all he bench tests the whole thing to make sure it works.

Money well spent, I wish I had done that and spent more time on other things.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just did mine, I will post the pin outs in the next few weeks. Or Jims performance will do it for you for like 300 bucks and flash the pcm for 200.

Best of all he bench tests the whole thing to make sure it works.

Money well spent, I wish I had done that and spent more time on other things.

Geoff

<- patiently awaiting the how to make your own harness info.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts