Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I need a little advice from the Dodge experts. First off I know very little about Dodge but I do have a fair amount of engine swap, 4X4, and fabricating experience. My brother-in-law (who can't change his own oil) has a late 70's power wagon that he wants to make a mud truck out of. It has a blown to hell slant 6 that needs to be replaced any engine will work he doesn't care it's entirely up to me. I found a complete 383 big block and 727 trans for $500 and from what I’ve reed this is a tough engine. I've also read that the 383 was offered in the Power wagon in the late 60's so it should fit. My questions are will I need and where can I get conversion motor mounts? I called AA and they don’t do any dodge mounts. The 727 is 2wd so what output shaft will it need? I'm guessing the X-case is a 203 (sorry I'm out of town and can’t look at it) and will the X-case adapter from the 4 speed bolt to the 727. Sorry I know some of these ?'s can't be answered without more details the truck is factory so whatever power train came in the truck is what’s still in it.
This is the only pic I have of the truck
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Hi guys I need a little advice from the Dodge experts. First off I know very little about Dodge but I do have a fair amount of engine swap, 4X4, and fabricating experience. My brother-in-law (who can't change his own oil) has a late 70's power wagon that he wants to make a mud truck out of. It has a blown to hell slant 6 that needs to be replaced any engine will work he doesn't care it's entirely up to me. I found a complete 383 big block and 727 trans for $500 and from what I’ve reed this is a tough engine. I've also read that the 383 was offered in the Power wagon in the late 60's so it should fit. My questions are will I need and where can I get conversion motor mounts? I called AA and they don’t do any dodge mounts. The 727 is 2wd so what output shaft will it need? I'm guessing the X-case is a 203 (sorry I'm out of town and can’t look at it) and will the X-case adapter from the 4 speed bolt to the 727. Sorry I know some of these ?'s can't be answered without more details the truck is factory so whatever power train came in the truck is what’s still in it.
This is the only pic I have of the truck
Thanks for the help
This is a good site to check out.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/383.html

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Dodge offered big blocks in pick-ups 'til '78?, no custom mounts needed, just factory stuff. No idea if you can find them in your neck of the woods though.
Travis..

·
Registered
954 Posts
I have a 383 in my '68 W200 Power Wagon. I've only owned the truck for a month or so and haven't really gotten into it. It looks like it's got a mid sump car pan on it though. I been searching for new parts for it including a rear sump pan and matching pickup so thanks for the above links.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts