Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that you've come to flame me, This is the plan, I've got a deal on some 38" tsl's. Can I run them semi safely on a open front and welded rear till I get some 30 spline bling? Simple question.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I suppose you could do that. It shouldn't break but bring spares just in case.
I have heard of people running 40's on stock axles that were open in the front too not sure if they wheeled em though they were mostly trailer queens.. Hell some people run 38's with IFS.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
if it's the truck in your sig, i think you will have a little too much reduction for comfort with 38's. then again, open is a whole different world from a locked diff. bring spares.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I say go for it

·
Super Moderator
'82 Scrambler, '14 Rzr
62,007 Posts
It all depends on your driving style, terrain, and "git-er-dun"edness :p

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
It should last a little while. I have seen 44's on stock axles hold up for a while with open diffs. I would have spare parts on hand.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I had 38" Dick Cepek Kevlars with open front and rear and I didnt break anything.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
well ive got 38's and i figured id run the stock ones until they broke, that wasnt long, they broke in an in and out parking lot trying to go up a light post, then i got 30 spliners and they havnt broke yet

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Yeah. Atleast youll already have the 38s. You know what that means, right?? Youll never have smaller tires thah that. Its just the law of 'wheeler building. Never downgrading tire size.......

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
you will be fine, i had a friend that had 37's on IFS and he bashed the fuck out of that rig.... never broke an axle..amazing as that may seem.

I wouldnt wheel it hard for long though or you'll be stuck fixing an axle on the trail..

·
Registered
869 Posts
I wheeled with 38.5 TSLs and ARB up front, spool in the rear. However, I also tore up stock birfs and finally upgraded to Longs. I tore inner fronts, and a rear axle as well. I was running 4.88 diffs and dual stock cases. I think I also ate up 6 ring gears in about 14 months. Oh yea, killed (shredded) the front ARB and moved to a lock-right for two trips before I tore it all down.

I finally upgraded to Rockwells and 44's.

My recomendation - get the tires, get some spares, uprade to longs or something and be smart. Don't be like me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts