Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3B is having fuel delivery problems and i can't figure out exactly what it is.
It was running great and all of a sudden it felt like i was running out of fuel, but i filled it up just two days before.
Then at a traffic light it completely quit on me and i had to get towed home.
I tried to bleed the fuel system, but no air or fuel is coming out of the bleeder, not when i pump the priming pump by hand or when i crank the engine.
I think that the priming pump is broken, but i need confirmation from someone who nows these engines, before i buy a new and probably very expensive part.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Koppert

The Netherlands

·
Registered
556 Posts
So when you pump the hand pump, nothing happens? I know the last time I had to bleed mine it took forever with the hand pump before I started to get a good flow of fuel...how long did you prime the pump for? Do you get any resistance from the pump (ie does it feel like its trying to pump something?)

Also, did you check your tank pick up?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You can also have a slow air leak at the junction between the hard line and the rubber connection, which makes the whole hard line empty, and then it takes forever repriming the system...

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just went through something similar on my BJ70 a couple days ago.
Work your way back from the pump. Start with a new fuel filter, make certain the plunger isn't leaking and is tightened down properly, also not leaking near the top nut and side nut which have brass compression washers that do wear. Replace fuel line to the hard line(which is usualy cheap!?), examine the hard line to the water seperator and replace the soft fuel lines on the inlet and outlet ports. Also make certain that the small rubber o-rings on the bolt for the bleed port isn't leaking--I've had it leak there before! Bleed it(usually takes me about 70-90 pumps on the primer to get good pressure. Bleed at least twice to get the air out, each time pumping the plunger.
If it's still stalling, which was worst cace scenario for me, drop the tank and like someone suggested check the fuel pickup.
I did this, and turned out it was the short section of the fuel pickup hard line at the tank. It pretty much disintegrated in my hands when I checked it.
I fabed-up a top plate on the top of the tank and welded a new hard line to it.
Works great now!!!
Hope this helps, sorry for the lenghthy reply.
Cheers!
Dan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced all lines just a month ago, so this wasn't a problem.
Checked all the filters and they were clean, so i took an air compressor and simply put pressure on the line to the tank.
When i took the pressure of there was a lot of fuel coming out of the line and it took just a few pumps to get pressure on the system.
So it might just have been air.
I take it out tonight for a test drive and see what happens.

Nomad:
When the fuel pick up disintegrated did it fell out in small orange pieces? I ask this because six months ago when i cleaned the system for the first time i found that stuff in the little filter-union-bolt thingy.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
If you replaced the lines recently then that is probably the culprit. You have a little leak somewhere at a joint, you might want to use something even possibly general purpose grease where the rubber and metal lines meet. Makes them slip on easier and leak less.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts