Pirate 4x4 banner

141 - 160 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
One side down on the @MotoBilt high line rear fender/ shock mounts support.

Cutlerfab

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
That thing looks cool as hell. I'm not sure what it's purpose is. If it holds the fender, fine. If it is holding the shock from coming up and deforming the fender, it seems like it would need kind of bracing. That tube doesn't seem to have much strength in an up and down direction. Or does it bolt through the fender to the frame underneath?

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
That thing looks cool as hell. I'm not sure what it's purpose is. If it holds the fender, fine. If it is holding the shock from coming up and deforming the fender, it seems like it would need kind of bracing. That tube doesn't seem to have much strength in an up and down direction. Or does it bolt through the fender to the frame underneath?
Yes, there is a single tube on the sister plate, underneath attached to frame.

But this isn't done..

·
Registered
24,653 Posts
;)

https://thejeephut.com/motobilt-mb5501-jeep-cj-yj-high-clearance-rear-fender-tops/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAi57gBRDqARIsABhDSMrfYqoJXC2SDywIwTVGhgqn28oOBsiKgfxaX78T6Hz4v5I3BBfWqw0aAms_EALw_wcB

Great work as usual Cutler

·
Registered
58 Posts
Such clean work! Love it.
Have you ran any numbers on the suspension yet? I’ve been thinking about running this kit on a future build but still undecided.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Such clean work! Love it.
Have you ran any numbers on the suspension yet? I’ve been thinking about running this kit on a future build but still undecided.
I haven't yet, but I will.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
First 2d drawn, 3d assembly, created by me, ready for attachment to 3DB crawler....

Why did I wait so long to go CNC!!!

Formerly about 1.5 hours of work, per side... now only 1.5 for both. Most of that spent waiting for the part to cool to do another stringer...

Glad to finally have the Premier Plasma 4x4 flat top and Everlast 80 CNC turning and burning.

CutlerFab

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts

I'm impressed you were able to find space for it :smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)

I'm impressed you were able to find space for it :smokin:
It took some light remodeling; but it was time, work load had changed, therefore efficiency must improve to accommodate.

But yeah, lost a couple feet of depth in the first bay, but plenty of room there to build projects yet.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
That's badass!:smokin:

Look forward to your long term review of the table and the Everlast unit. I'm definitely going to get me another plasma table one of these days, and glad to see them coming down in price as more businesses seem to offer them the past few years...

Thanks for keeping your threads updated...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nice addition to the shop. I just picked up a Wright CNC as my first table and am having fun learning it. What program are you using to draw parts. I started with Inkscape, then used the bendtec sheet metal one, and have also been playing with Fusion360.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
That's badass!:smokin:

Look forward to your long term review of the table and the Everlast unit. I'm definitely going to get me another plasma table one of these days, and glad to see them coming down in price as more businesses seem to offer them the past few years...

Thanks for keeping your threads updated...
So far so good. I still need to do some fine tuning for backlash. But I'm very happy with the edge and hole quality I've dialed in. I'm up and running for about $6g, including a 75 piece consumable kit.

Nice addition to the shop. I just picked up a Wright CNC as my first table and am having fun learning it. What program are you using to draw parts. I started with Inkscape, then used the bendtec sheet metal one, and have also been playing with Fusion360.
The unit shipped with viacad 2d, inkscape, sheetcam and mach 3. I struck a deal with bendtech ay fabtech show. I'm getting pro, with the sheet metal packs and templates. I like viacad pretty well for 2d, it's more intuitive to me than inkscape. But I'm very green.

Hopefully, I'll be happy with how good the 3d drawing is in bendtech. If not I'll look into fusion or designspark mechanical.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have BendTech pro, and the SM isn’t bad. Fusion360 is great to work with and is free for a hobbyist license, but it doesn’t export well to Sheetcam for me. I’m still playing with it.

·
Premium Member
29,441 Posts
are you trying to model things in 3D and then 'explode' the surfaces out to 2D dimensions for the plasma table?

I guess i don't see the benefit of a 'better' cam system :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I have BendTech pro, and the SM isn’t bad. Fusion360 is great to work with and is free for a hobbyist license, but it doesn’t export well to Sheetcam for me. I’m still playing with it.
Just ordered this as well. I like sheetcam 2d so far. Hoping most of my work will commence in bendtech sm.

are you trying to model things in 3D and then 'explode' the surfaces out to 2D dimensions for the plasma table?

I guess i don't see the benefit of a 'better' cam system :confused:
Yes so far that's what I've been doing. Everything unfolded in 2d. Drawing in 3d will hopefully make my 2d more efficient, especially fitting multiple pieces together.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
The tubing behind the B pillar is complete. Still some sheet metal work back there to come; tailgate, fuel cell mounting, tool box building. Seatbelt shoulder harness mounts are installed. And front tube fenders are coming together, nothing spectacular with the design yet, just getting a good tight fit so far.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Cutlerfab

141 - 160 of 174 Posts