Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 85 4runner has a 3in. superride superlift suspension and 2in. extended shackles. I am trying to understand the makings of good articulation. If I understand it correctly, in order for a shackle to offer good flex there needs to be adequate arc/bend in the spring under no load, thus when it the wheel begins to flex into the wheel well the spring begins to flatten and the shackle swings out allowing for more flex. If my understanding is correct, I am wondering if the 3" superlift on my truck simply has too little arc/bend in the spring, thus not allowing the front wheel to flex up into the wheel well. Will the spring actually hyper extend or bend upward once it is broken in a bit? So, any of you out there with this lift found your superlift doesn't articulate well?. Thanks, Danny

·
Registered
695 Posts
yes those springs will go to negatige arch but it probally isnt good for them....most springs will go up into negative arch but its not recomended....need to install a bumpstop at the point where the spring becomes flat of just some negative arch but no more than one inch....and should have some fairly good down travel...jsut check to make sure you dont have anything limiting them...like swaybar, torque rod or steering droplink.... or make sure your shocks are long enough to allow for the travel maybe you will have to make new shock towers to allow bigger shocks for the travel....good luck hope this helped

norm

·
Registered
695 Posts
also some kits come with stiffer spring packs..and only allow for limited suspension travel..if you are looking for lots of travel....you will need different springs...alcan's from aor4x4.com are good and allprooffroad.com makes some good ones....people are experimenting with all kinds of things to make extreme travel with leaf springs.... you just need to figure out what you want and what you are willing to compromise to get it.....

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
super lifts are to stiff.............. that is what it comes down to.. you need a spring that with a decent(lower then superlifts) spring rate that offers you some lift.. the flatter the spring generally gives you a better allaround flex.. But then you sacrafice lift..

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I've heard a bit about this, but couldnt find much anywhere.

Changing springs in packs? I know there is a write up to put some mazdas into yota packs, but, is it really as simple as pull out, shove in? (still talking about spring packs ;)...) My friend was a fawking idiot and got pro comps cause they were cheap, now he complains about no flex *SMACK* how difficult is it to change around packs?

Dwike- Make sure your sway bars/torque arms are non existent, they're useless, unless you're an idiot and you drive your truck like a sports car. My truck hasnt ran em for years, and its fine (I think it actually sticks on turns better with the almost excessive weight transfer. With how stiff your springs are, running SB'snd TA's is just redundant. Look into changing packs, hopefully we can be enlightened on this

·
Registered
535 Posts
DX2Dave said:
Dwike- Make sure your sway bars/torque arms are non existent, they're useless, unless you're an idiot and you drive your truck like a sports car. My truck hasnt ran em for years, and its fine (I think it actually sticks on turns better with the almost excessive weight transfer. With how stiff your springs are, running SB'snd TA's is just redundant. Look into changing packs, hopefully we can be enlightened on this
just for the record.. the torque arm DOES serve a purpose, if you have stock push-pull steering.. there was a thread about it just recently, most people seemed to agree that it is a neccessary thing for stock steering... once you go crossover, cut it off!

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i think most of us here have bought or built spring packs with leaves in the 6-7mm thickness for the front packs. i cant comment on the superlifts, but im guessing there 8+ mm thick??? i have a set of NWOR mains on the side of the house and they look like theyre 8-9mm thick and have a reputation for great trail manners and flex:flipoff2: :D

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just an idea

Since your springs are to stiff you can try something else that would be cheap or free. Alot of people here have had great success with using the factory rear springs up front. The good thing is the factory rears flex well and move the axle foward a little. The down fall to using the rears is you need to add a couple leafs to gain any lift. You could use some stock rears and add 1 or 2 of your superlift springs to get a little lift. I'm using factory rears w/some factory wrangler leafs. Not real sure it will give the lift and flex I want but they were all free so I'm gonna try them first. If I don't get the lift I want I will get some different springs to replace the wranglers. Here's a shot with my old 33" tires proped up in the wheel well. Should have enough room for a 36" tire but won't know for sure untill everything is complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
777 Posts
DX2Dave said:
I've heard a bit about this, but couldnt find much anywhere.

Changing springs in packs? I know there is a write up to put some mazdas into yota packs, but, is it really as simple as pull out, shove in? (still talking about spring packs ;)...) My friend was a fawking idiot and got pro comps cause they were cheap, now he complains about no flex *SMACK* how difficult is it to change around packs?

i have the main leaf and the mil. wrap leaf from a rear spring pack with the 2 bottom leaves from my 4" pro-comp pack and it works great...you just have to take springs apart, put them back together, then do it all over again to get what you want from your springs:p also, yes its as easy as just taking the center pin out and swapping springs and putting the pack back together.but sometimes you do have to cut a spring and re-drill it to get what ya want

BTW..i'll sleep better at night now knowing paul has dual sphincters:D

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Id say the gayness all depends on your driving style. You must drive from the rear :flipoff2: I dont :D My bother has run this set up for rears with out any trouble but there is always room for change.

Til then I would appreciate it if you didn't stand so close behind me :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts