Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading around here, TTORA, even Yotatech and cant find out why...does everyone swap the rear coils for leafs when SASing a 3rd gen 4runner? Is it only becasue there arent many options for aftermarket coils and the fact that the factory LCA's are so short that they cant really allow much flex?? Or is it for some other reason that i cant think of??

I'm thinking about SASing my 97 4runner and trying to find out some more details on things and parts i'll need.

·
Registered
868 Posts
because the factory 4link was not designed to see much articulation, once they start seeing extreme flex the link mounts start ripping away from the axle housing like so:

It's a shitty pic, but when i was cutting all the link mounts off for my leaf conversion i found some holes in the housing big enough to stuff a dime in.

the holes let the dirt into the housing which worked it's way to the 3rd resulting in a chipped pinion tooth.

my runner is only 2nd gen but the rear links are basicly the same.

And all this happed before i really beat on the truck, mostly trail rides through the pine barrens (very flat)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right on, i was guessing the "stoutness" of the original equip might have had soemthing to do with it, thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts