Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been reading the FAQ and i'm still a little curious

i broke my TG 3" front springs.. or atleast i think they are TG.

i have for now a stock front hanger, one has been ordered simply because it's super clean compared to my beat up stock hangers.

these are my TG 3" springs on bottom and 3rd gen rears

a better pic of the measurments.

after i cut the center pin on both packs, here is my "new" pack i have the TG(?) bottom 3 leaves and the 3rd gen top 2 springs.. i have the same number of springs as my original pack.

this is the measurement from the shackle maxed out at the body mount compared to my factory front hanger.

so theoretically my springs *should* be the same rate as my original pack or atleast pretty close. right?? they are longer so they will be softer right?? same rate/longer spring= softer ride

the springs are ~6" longer than my original TG 3"(?) pack

from the FAQ

I just found out that First gen Toyota rears are different than second gen toyota Rears. they are teh same length overall but the spring pin hole location is different by 5/8".

Heres some spring info about Toyota Leaf springs.

79-85 Toyota front
Flat length = 45"
Front Half = 22.5"
Rear Half = 22.5"
Width = 2.36"
Front Eyelet = 18mm ID
Rear Eyelet = 18mm ID

79-83 Toyota Rear
Flat length = 48"
Front Half = 21.125"
Rear Half = 26.875"
Width = 2.36"
Front Eyelet = 18mm ID
Rear Eyelet = 18mm ID

84-88 Toyota Rear
Flat length = 48"
Front Half = 20.5"
Rear Half = 27.5"
Width = 2.36"
Front Eyelet = 14mm ID
Rear Eyelet = 18mm ID

89-95 Toyota Rear
Flat length = 51"
Front Half = 21.5"
Rear Half = 29.5"
Width = 2.36"
Front Eyelet = 14mm ID
Rear Eyelet = 18mm ID

my "new" pack is 48" OAL.

should i be able to buy my new front hanger, push it forward as much as possible w/o a ton of work 1.5-2" and slightly notch my body mount?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
since nobody has answered i'm thinking i'm on the cutting edge of 100 year old leaf spring technology :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone?? this is unbeleivable.. i stupmed the PBB i should have a special little star by my name, maybe a skull or somethin cool:flipoff2: :laughing:

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
how about this next to your name :cow: haha
The spring rate should be close to the same. the longer leafs will give a better ride if the shackle angle is right. i don't know where everyone else is

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
you are on the right track. they will be too long with the stock front hanger. you will end up bottoming out the shackle on the frame and kinking your springs on compression. the longer springs will be softer, just make sure you keep the top couple leaves clamped or you break them.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
damn, those bushings were toast!!
i torched the bolts out with the torch since they were seized in.. thats just the remaining rubber but they were toast anyway

1 - 8 of 8 Posts