Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing some work on a buddies truck before it gets (more) destroyed :laughing:

Truck started life as a very clean 2nd gen. Years ago he brought it to our shop and we did a TG sas and rear suspension. Dual cases and 4.7, lockers, bumpers and Sliders. After years of thrashing it a frame swap and an extremely extended cab/engine swap, I'm doing some more on it.

Doing some Sliders. He cut the trail gear Sliders off when he did the cab swap since they were so smashed you couldn't open the door. I don't understand why people think 120 wall is enough for Sliders. I showed him how I did the Sliders on my 4runner and he liked it. So away with the rockers and in goes 2x3x3/16 box. I used 2x2x1/8 for the frame tie ins to same a little weight since they won't be taking the hits.

Unfortunately soup bowl had its way with the passenger side before I did :laughing: if he get a new door it should be easy enough to flatten out.

Cut some simple gussets out of the same 2x2.

The plan is also for a partial exo, similar to the one I did on my 4runner. I've always hated how the b pillar on exos seem to catch on stuff, but it also sucks to hammer your door sticker area and not be able to put a new door on it. I have some ideas, but haven't decided yet how I'll do it.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Simple and strong. Cant beat that.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for content!
No problem, I probably wouldn't have posted it if it wasn't so dead in here.

Simple and strong. Cant beat that.
Much less time consuming than round also :laughing:

I also hate round tube sliders, both for function and form.

Looks great.
I'm not against round tube at all, just has to be something substantial. For on the cheap, we used to use 1.5 schd 80 (1 7/8x.200)

I plan to build some for our 3rd gen 4runner out of 2x3 also and then have 1 3/4x188 step/kick outs to keep the rocks away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I like the way you did the little gusset. I'm going to steal that. Some similar sliders are one of the next things on my list.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a bunch done today, 188 wall is tiring to work with :laughing:

Hoop is 120, X is 090 and the b pillar is 188 plus the 120 square. Overkill on thickness, but it would have looked like shit with just the round tube in there. Hindsight, if I did it again I'd move the bar back a little and just cut the corner off the cab if that makes sense. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it.

Fender bar is kinda ugly, but I didn't want to over complicate it, plus it will be covered anyway.

·
Banned
15,359 Posts
looks great :smokin: are you going to tie the b pillar and the rear hoop together near the door handle with some flat plate?

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
looks great :smokin: are you going to tie the b pillar and the rear hoop together near the door handle with some flat plate?
Shhhh, it's a surprise :flipoff2:

I can't decide if i want to add a tube in that area or just do a 45* on the plate. Obviously a full 1 3/4 would be a pain, but I have 1 1/2 and 1" I could use offset.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Copied the cowl bar from my 4runner, will need to trim the hood, or just not open it very far :laughing:

Normally do the typical center bar and the a V to each corner above the windshield. Decided to try something different on the one.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's how my 4runner was, but I think I'll just cut a little off and stitch it to the cowl piece.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
The cowl bar is the hardest part of the exo to make look clean IMO. Especially if you are retaining the wipers.

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The cowl bar is the hardest part of the exo to make look clean IMO. Especially if you are retaining the wipers.
If you want to retain the hood opening all the way without cutting it, yes, it's pretty hard. My buddy did one through the cowl space, which I wanted to do but it would have made doing the upside-down V really hard.

The hardest bars I've done were the c pillar hoop on a 3rd gen or Tacoma ex cab. They are super funny shaped and angle forward.

I ended up redoing the roof to make the bars sit lower in the front. Looks much better. Also did the center bars. I had planned on doing 1" tube( I think mine were ~1.25") but it just looked like it wouldn't do anything.

Had my buddy who manages a hitch and weld shop shear these up to make it easier.

I just have a few gusset tubes and final welding left. I'd like to pull the majority of it off and fully weld it, but it's going to be a pain. I may just lift it up 6" or so and cover the cab with a welding blanket.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts