Pirate 4x4 banner

81 - 100 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
My dad had never been in the jeep so I grabbed a ladder so he could climb in and took him for a spin around the office.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Looking good man! I remember the first time I had my dad out. That was an experience, and a challenging day to say the least. Wish I could of taken him on a ride like that before a full wheeling day just to prep us both :D

Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #83 (Edited)
Some shop flexing trying to figure out bump stops. Got the mounts built and then the bumps fell apart.....what the hell?

Now to the shake down run........

10 minutes off the trailer and this happens. Apparently 2psi was too low!?! Luckly Ian had his nitro bottle for shock tuning so we were able to hit it with a blast and reseat the bead.

Suspension worked pretty good all day, unfortunately my motor developed a new issue and would fall on it's face when I needed it most. So I didn't get to test as much as I wanted. If anyone has evap canister diagrams I could use them. right now coming off my fuel cell I have the supply line, and what I though was a return running from the tank to the evap canister (this is how it was plumbed when I bought it so I upgraded to steel braided hose but that's it). fuel cell has no other vent. I also have a possible vac leak coming off the brake booster. Gonna try to finish bumps and run this gremlin down so I can make a presidents day run this Saturday. If anyone has fuel system info please help me out.

Then I hosed it off and put it back in the shop!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Looking good Zach! You're definitely getting you money's worth out of that plasma table. I'd think 5-7 psi is about as low as you'll need to go on those iroks before you start to lose function and stability. And for the love of all things holy, please ditch the mall rated front tubing...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Looking good Zach! You're definitely getting you money's worth out of that plasma table. I'd think 5-7 psi is about as low as you'll need to go on those iroks before you start to lose function and stability. And for the love of all things holy, please ditch the mall rated front tubing...
Thanks Barclay! I wanna come out to your neck of the woods at some point (after I get everything working pretty good and learn how to drive it) and do some wheeling.

Everyone seems to hate my late 90's "boner bar"! If I didn't have so many other, more important things to fix and my winch wasn't mounted to it, I'd mess with it right now. I'm thinking I'll leave it alone until I do my motor swap at which point I'm planning to chop the frame rails and will rework all that up there.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
TJ's only have one fuel line that runs from the tank to the motor with a regulator built into the pump assembly (unless someone swapped to an older setup using YJ stuff)

The line you are referring to is the vent line that goes to the EVAP canister. Shouldn't be causing it to fall on it's face though as it's just a vent line.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
TJ's only have one fuel line that runs from the tank to the motor with a regulator built into the pump assembly (unless someone swapped to an older setup using YJ stuff)

The line you are referring to is the vent line that goes to the EVAP canister. Shouldn't be causing it to fall on it's face though as it's just a vent line.
So running the second line to the factory hard line that goes to the evap canister shouldn't be the issue then? Is that the vent also, because I only have 2 lines coming off the cell (the supply and this one going to the evap canister).

codes it's throwing: 12 21 11 11 15 55

21 is o2 sensors, does that sound like it could be the problem?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
So running the second line to the factory hard line that goes to the evap canister shouldn't be the issue then? Is that the vent also, because I only have 2 lines coming off the cell (the supply and this one going to the evap canister).

codes it's throwing: 12 21 11 11 15 55

21 is o2 sensors, does that sound like it could be the problem?
o2 shouldn't cause it to hesitate

All your codes point to a leak in the EVAP system. I had a leak years ago on my 2001 Wrangler and I'm trying to remember if it would cause a hesitation. I think it may have. Researching a little seems like others had that as well. The system checks for pressure in that system and if it detects a drop in pressure, throws the CEL and looks like could cause hesitation issues (like I said been awhile since I had it happen)

Pull up a diagram for your year and check for leaks. Also make sure your gas cap doesn't leak air. Faulty gas caps will cause check engine lights.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
o2 shouldn't cause it to hesitate

All your codes point to a leak in the EVAP system. I had a leak years ago on my 2001 Wrangler and I'm trying to remember if it would cause a hesitation. I think it may have. Researching a little seems like others had that as well. The system checks for pressure in that system and if it detects a drop in pressure, throws the CEL and looks like could cause hesitation issues (like I said been awhile since I had it happen)

Pull up a diagram for your year and check for leaks. Also make sure your gas cap doesn't leak air. Faulty gas caps will cause check engine lights.
The line that runs to the evap canister is loose at the cell. Enough that I was leaking fuel from it when I was inclined. I guess that would cause the same issue as a faulty gas cap? The cap on the fuel cell has a good o-ring and seals up tight. I've got to pull the sender in the tank to get to the nut inside the tank to tighten up the evap line fitting. Planning on doing that this week along with new plugs and plug wires. Since the brake booster vac hose is so cheap I'm gonna go ahead and replace that as well. I could wiggle it around and completely choke the motor out. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The line that runs to the evap canister is loose at the cell. Enough that I was leaking fuel from it when I was inclined. I guess that would cause the same issue as a faulty gas cap? The cap on the fuel cell has a good o-ring and seals up tight. I've got to pull the sender in the tank to get to the nut inside the tank to tighten up the evap line fitting. Planning on doing that this week along with new plugs and plug wires. Since the brake booster vac hose is so cheap I'm gonna go ahead and replace that as well. I could wiggle it around and completely choke the motor out. Any other ideas?
I think that should get you in the right direction to fixing the issue. You wouldn't think a vent line to an evap canister would cause issues but I vaguely remember this causing an issue with mine years ago. If I think about it I could go pull a vac line off my evap and run it around town to see what happens.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I think that should get you in the right direction to fixing the issue. You wouldn't think a vent line to an evap canister would cause issues but I vaguely remember this causing an issue with mine years ago. If I think about it I could go pull a vac line off my evap and run it around town to see what happens.
Ian thinks it's the #11- "No Crank reference signal detected during engine cranking. Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. CKP sensor target windows have too much variation."

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
So after weeks and a thousand dollars worth of parts changing..........It was the fuel pump.

We did: Crank Position Sensor, cap then all new distributor, plugs, wires, TPS, MAS, Air idle sensor, cleaned the throttle body, new coil, new wiring harness, o2 sensors, and tons of head scratching. Tested fuel pressure early in the process and had 80 PSI (I think, sounds wrong but that's the number I remember), and it was still over 40 psi over 3 hours later. Apparently this wasn't constant though. New bosch pump has it running like a top again!

In the process of switching pumps I discovered my fuel cell is of the 3/16" home brew verity and they had the old sender being held up by basically just a gasket. Got the gen right ring and fixed it up proper. I'll probably make myself a new cell at some point, but gonna run it as is for a bit.

This hole was cut with a butter knife!

Gonna put a fresh seal in the steering box and hopefully go wheel it this weekend, but messed around behind my shop a little on Saturday.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
1 step forward, 2 steps back........

Struggling to get the snap ring in the gear box out so i can put in the new seals. I'm going to look for more snap ring pliers at lunch since neither set I have is getting it, but we did get the PS cooler mounted last night and all the lines run.

In that process, my bro Croft broke off the barb on the PS reservoir. So what do you do late at night a day before a wheeling trip.......we pillaged the scrap pile, burned some caps, hit home depot for some fittings, and booty fab'd one up. Please make fun of the bugger welds, it was late, been a while since either of us ran a spoolgun, and we didn't bother doing any setup - just straight book settings! It pressure tested, so I'm running it (might try to re-make one at some point when i have time and do a good job!).

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Ok so got the steering fixed and took her out for the best day of wheeling I've had to date. Figuring out what transfer case combo I need to be in is killer! For those familiar with Gulches, last time out it was drier that usual and I destroyed it! Far left of the rock garden, far left side of #9, apple pie, rocker knocker, palmetto crossing, radical, heart breaker (doing the culvert at the top), both sides of rebel, far right of shipwreck. It was just a good day. Then after a day or 2 of the jeep sitting in the shop, my slow TC leak had turned into something more!

I think/hope that I just broke the RVT seal when I slammed down hard on the big rock in Ship Wreck.

So here's the plan, JB Custom Fab triple stick cable shifters will be here on Monday. Gonna drop cases, twin stick the d300, and get all 3 sticks together! It's also time to build some sort of skid plate and re-do the crossmember. I think I've got the room to clock the 300 up slightly and kick everything up a hair so I've got a flat belly, testing this out tonight or tomorrow.

I also developed a rear diff leak and discovered most of the holes for the cover are helicoiled..........So I had to redo the helicoils so I could tighten everything up and keep it from leaking. Seemed to work out fine.

While I'm waiting on parts I figure it's probably a good time to finish some of the other unfinished sections of my cage/back half.

Rear hitch installed! Thinking I'm going to build some sort of basket that's receiver mounted to hold a cooler and possibly some tools when I have my back seat in.

Then took a break to build my boy Croft a truss for his Dana 44!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
no clue which file it was, when it didn't work i deleted it.

Started getting everything ready to drop cases tonight when my help shows up after work!

Then it'll be time for these!

also gonna burn out a bracket to mount up the new LED bar!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Was hoping to get farther tonight, but the flat belly dream is going to be a reality!!!

Starting to clean it up

apart

Just kinda trying to see where the shifter is going to go

Also, thinking i'm going to tack my tailgate on for now:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Awesome build! You mentioned adding a cooler rack and putting the tailgate back on. I kept my tailgate "openable" and built a small rack to bolt to it for my cooler and some tools. My only regret is not making it bigger. Makes it easy to get to the gas tank. Those tailgates can hold a lot of weight (without a spare). Just a thought! Cheers!

(shitty pic but you get the point)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Names_TJ, very similar to what I'm talking about. Looks good! I'm thinking I'll make mine as wide as will fit between the cage and at least wide enough to hold a yeti 65.

81 - 100 of 266 Posts