Pirate 4x4 banner
121 - 140 of 267 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I mounted all my goodies off of the shock towers... took some fanagling but got it all to work... even made a mount left of the brake booster (hydro) to keep my washer reservoir... bought a tall skinny coolant reservoir for coolant mounted right next to my radiator. I can take some pics of you're interested

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
I mounted all my goodies off of the shock towers... took some fanagling but got it all to work... even made a mount left of the brake booster (hydro) to keep my washer reservoir... bought a tall skinny coolant reservoir for coolant mounted right next to my radiator. I can take some pics of you're interested
Since I don't have a windshield at the moment, I'm not going to worry about the washer reservoir.......unless maybe i run a hose into the cab and it becomes a mixed drink dispenser or something!!! Looks like all my stuff will be attached to the hoops/engine bar also. Started drawing up some brackets last night!

In other news: I'm about to help a buddy who has a 4bt Cummins TJ do a 60 swap in the front, 16" CO's, redesign the 3 link to a 4 link, and go full hydro. In that process I'm getting his PSC ram, box, and reservoir so looking forward to swapping that stuff out at some point. My ram and box are fine, but I don't think the pitman arm is clocked correctly so I'm only getting like 50-60% turning passenger. It'll be an opportunity to figure that out while upgrading to higher quality parts.

Got both hood pins installed and picked a color for the cage last night!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Got to drive the jeep this weekend and have some problems. I needed to pull the lowers back 1/2" so the tie rod doesn't hit the pitman arm. The uppers are out of adjustment so my pinion angle is super steep so when you turn it goes down rather than left to right making the suspension unload. But it flexes pretty good like it is.

Full droop, measured and got front and rear limit straps ordered this weekend

So I've ordered some 1.25" hiems and am going to remake the upper links and frame side link mounts. I was hoping to just make what was there work since I wanted to stretch it when I can afford full hydro, but the geometry sucks. My man Ian hooked me up with some brackets for the frame.

Also upgraded from the small ram and factory tapped box I had, to units from PSC. (We took these off the Turbo Turd since it's going full hydro right now).

Made some pretty good progress on the 4BT TurboTurd this weekend too!

rear shock mounts in progress

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I am still following along. May not matter to you much, but :flipoff2:

I'm liking the updates! Hope to see more here before long. Have a soft spot for that blurple color since I owned two of them lol

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Still need to measure my rear, but I figure this info might be helpful for someone at some point. Trying to figure out sprung corner weights to get the correct springs.

In the front I have a 125# tinder and 175# main, so:

(125*175)/(125+175)= 72.91666667 #'s per inch

Springs were 34.5" uncompressed and 24.5625" under the weight of the jeep:

34.5-24.5625= 9.9357" of compression

9.9357*72.91666667= 724.609375#'s

So each corner up front weighs about 725#'s

That's probably a pretty good starting front corner weight number for just about anyone with a TJ. This is the info I couldn't seem to find anywhere. I'm going to measure my rear the same way and I'll edit this post with the info.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I'm sorta up in the air as to where I'm headed short term. RBD is the weekend after thanksgiving and I'm 100% going to that. SO I need to figure out what I think I can get done before then, factoring in this stupid ass 4BT TJ build!

Here's my options.....
1- Cut the entire front 4 link off and start over with my own geometry/design (that hopefully doesn't suck like what's here)
1A- Would pretty much require a front truss and new link/shock mounts
1A-2- I have a single ended full hydro kit coming (bought used off here for cheap), but ultimately want to run a double ended ram. So it adds a wrinkle as to what I fab for?

2-Just sling this single ended hydro kit on, Adjust my lowers back out so my steering arms aren't pointed at the dirt, go wheeling, and figure the rest of this stuff out after the trip.

I'm going to try and get away from Johnny Joints even though I haven't had any problems with them yet and mine are all pretty much new. As fast as I wanna go and as hard as I want to beat on mine (want to race the 4 banger series at AOP). I figure it's time to join the 1" bolt mafia.

Also, super pumped to have gotten a lift installed last week, just need to get the turd out so I can get mine on it!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
As much time as the Turbo Turd is eating up I've just decided to shave down the massive misalignment spacers on my pitman heim and run RBD as is. Got the suspension adjusted back out and it doesn't lift at all on dirt and only slightly on asphalt when in 4 wheel drive and turned full lock. It's not perfect, but it's wheelable AND this way I can take my time and get everything exactly how I want it.

Now that his front axle returned from SEMA and got pulled from the WOD buggy it used to live under we were able to make some turd progress. I'm super proud of how this one is turning out!

Full Droop!

Sitting on it's own weight!

And cuz I don't wanna hijack my own thread, here's some minor progress on mine!

Rock lights, interior map lights, rear lights, and an additional light bar up front! This thing is lit up like a christmas tree!

Just took my old bent up windshield hinges and cut them up then burned out tabs on the plasma table.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
OK, So RBD was sorta a bust for me. The 4BT TJ worked AWESOME and I'm pretty proud of that; however, mine performed like shit and I left pretty discouraged. Half way through the first day I knew I'd be cutting mine up again as soon as I got home. There was just no way to make the previous owners link geometry work for even a little while. Then I found a deal on a 5.3, scored a built 700r4 from a buddy that owed me some money, and lucked my way into a couple other components that all screamed "HACK THIS THING UP AND GET IT HOW YOU WANT IT ONCE AND FOR ALL"!

So here's the plan: Lower it 3.75", LS swap, 700r4, 231/300 doubler, full hydro, truss the front axle, aluminum links, and big ass 1" bolt joints. Looking for about 113" wheel base and a 22" belly height.

Not going crazy with the motor, for now the plans are: New Plugs and wires, PSC steering pump, 450amp alternator, new water pump and oil pump. Basically just some peace of mind stuff. Timing chain has no to very little play so I'm going to leave it for now. Cylinder walls still have hatching, and feels like it's making great compression when you turn it over.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Hopefully cooling won't be an issue with this large 3 pass radiator I grabbed from the fourms that previously lived on a 6.0 ultra4 car.

It's gonna be a tight fit up front. Seriously doubt I'm going to be able to get the winch behind the grill like we did on the 4BT, but that's the goal if I can make it fit.

Grabbed an F body oil pan so there's not so much hanging down in harms way!

New front frame starting to come together.

Designed my own front 60 truss. Still need to weld to the housing. Need to borrow an oxyfuel torch and some blankets from someone. Thinking about using stainless wire in the mig machine if I can't find a stick welder to do nickle.

Hopefully going to get my links measured and ordered this week. Using 2.5" 7075 lowers and 2" uppers. Hopefully they will be able to survive a beating! Only brackets left to make are lower link tabs on the axle. Then I have to figure out where I want them and get it all burned in. Would love to see this thing as a roller by the end of next week!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
I like the direction this is heading in! Love the rear frame work you did and looking forward to seeing the front done.

Is there a build thread for the Turbo Turd?
Thanks a lot! No build thread on the Turd. I did put up a good many pics as I was working on Instagram (@z_d_savage) and I think he put up a good many pictures too (@z_curly).

Got a little work done this weekend, mainly focusing on the motor. Spent about 6 hours and 10 cans of various cleaners scrubbing every inch of this motor. Got the block painted. Glass Blasted the manifolds and heat shields and got them painted. Installed a new melling HP oil pump, water pump, oil pan, oil pick up, fuel pressure gauge. New seals and gaskets everywhere but the heads. Just waiting on a pulley puller so I can install the new PSC steering pump and alternator.

I'm going to attempt to see if the brand new TJ Bosch fuel pump will feed this motor. Seems like it might lack both pressure and volume. The gauge on the rail should at least tell me if I'm there on pressure.

Got the front axle positioned where it goes so I can start figuring out link lengths. It's sitting at 22" belly height and 113" wheel base.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
I cut some tabs to keep the chain off the intake while lifting. I think they turned out pretty good!

Another lesson I learned on the turd. My lower tube is .188 wall rather than .120, I used 4 frame inserts rather than 2, and I added this fat gusset, all to help prevent front end sag. We corrected it on his with a tube from the shock hoop to the cage. While i may still do that, i'm hoping to not really need it! Since we never pulled his motor it was impossible to get in here to weld a gusset like this. I'm very glad with no motor, i had the room.

Got the trans bolted up only to realize we forgot the crank shaft spacer :(

Then got the motor positioned only to realize I can't use the stock manifolds where I want the motor. Got some Sanderson center dumps ordered from Summit I hope to have by Tuesday.

Much tighter up here than I thought it would be!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you're loosing too much room, skin the grill or just ditch it for a grill overlay. You'll get back like 6" of engine bay real quick!

Looks good man!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
If you're loosing too much room, skin the grill or just ditch it for a grill overlay. You'll get back like 6" of engine bay real quick!

Looks good man!
I really didn't want to skin the grill out, but I will if I have to. It's gonna get sorta chopped up anyway. I am going to tuck my winch back as deep as it'll go. I'm a little worried about my upper links and my radiator. Should know what I'm up against by the end of the weekend.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I really didn't want to skin the grill out, but I will if I have to. It's gonna get sorta chopped up anyway. I am going to tuck my winch back as deep as it'll go. I'm a little worried about my upper links and my radiator. Should know what I'm up against by the end of the weekend.
You could always kick your radiator back too and save some space.....just a thought!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
You could always kick your radiator back too and save some space.....just a thought!
Looks like I will be tilting the radiator back a good bit if I'm going to get it to clear. That said, motor mounts are done!

Went to measure for links last night and my PS pump is right where my upper link needs to go. Spoke to Jeremy at Goat Built and he's got me a relocation kit on the way. I thought about cutting my own bracket for this but the Goat Built bracket is reasonably priced enough for me to not to waste valuable time down the stretch on an R&D project. Jeremy was very helpful and I'm looking forward to getting this kit installed.

Here's ride height, 22" belly. 118" wheel base in the pic's but i'm planning to pull 2" out of the rear and an inch out of the front to get it to 115" which is still overshooting my planned wheel base. I'm going to wheel it for a little bit and see how I like it. I've got the room to take more out of the rear if I need to.

121 - 140 of 267 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.