Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this v-6 third from another member a while back, it was one that was setup by a toyota tech, so I don't doubt that it was done properly, but I want to see if I am over reacting to something that is common, or if something is getting loose.

I was replacing the passenger birfield yesterday and while putting the hub back in I turned the rotor to line something up and noticed that the pinion flange pushed outward (compressed the drive shaft about 1/2" at most). So I did it several times and notice that it made no difference which way I turned the rotor, it still jumps out every time.

Generic picture, my problem is on the front axle

FWIW, v-6 third with a detroit locker, 5.29's, solid spacer

does that make sense to anyone? ideas on a repair?

·
Registered
997 Posts
did the nut back off the pinion? i had that happen a while ago too:shaking: and it was the nut on the pinion

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Don't drive it until it gets fixed. If torqueing the pinion nut doesn't fix it, then she has to come apart. If the pinion gets tight and has serious resistance to turn within it's lash, then it should come apart as well.

Use a brand new nut, red/green loctite on oil free threads, and make sure to stake it when you are done.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the nut appears to be tight, but I am going to check it here in a minute to be sure.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I am not as familair with toy thirds but would a crush sleeve that was crushed by shock loads cause this??

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a solid spacer, so i dont know about the crush sleeve

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i pulled it all apart (probably a bad idea since i have no idea about adjusting backlash, but suppose i will take it somewhere). there is no space between the bearing and the pinion gear teeth. possibly the bearing slid up on the shaft and allowing the movement?

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
There should be shims between the bearing and pinion head. That bearing shouldn't be able to move.
can you post a pic of the pinion?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sure thing

this is what it looks like when i took it out. the gear, a washer, a small spacer, the rear bearing, another washer, a shim, the solid spacer, and 8 more shims.

close up

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im thinking that the front bearing may have backed off. the stake nut threads are a little worn (that may have been my problem all along. i am heading to town to see if i can find a replacement.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I thought you meant the bearing next to the pinon moved. Only way that would move is if it wasn't pressed on all the way.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i originally thought it had moved. now i am beginning to think that the nut backed off and is allowing a little slack in the pinion. my theory was going great until I stripped out the inside of the stake nut. now i cant find a replacement. the only local parts store we have cant find one (they carry a castle nut for a GMC, but it is too small) and the toyota place is closed. :(

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
anyone know the exact size of that nut? might head to lowes tonight

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Unless you need the truck running that bad, I would wait for the right nut.
Too bad you aren't here in fresno, I have a spare.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Unless you need the truck running that bad, I would wait for the right nut.
Too bad you aren't here in fresno, I have a spare.

X2

dont use the wrong nut. thats not going to help anything. But i'm sure if you ask some other toyota guys around town, somebody is bound to have one. i know i've got a handful in the garage, and so do my friends. so ask around....

and on another note, on these toyota third members you adjust the backlash with the adjuster rings that put pressure on the carrier bearings. hopefully you marked them as to placement and which side they go to. that way when you put it all back together, it should be pretty much within spec. if not your going to need a dial indicator and a mag base. you can get them for cheap at harbor freight. like $25 for both.

these links may help.

the pirate gear bible

zuk- gearinstalls.com- all toyota gear installs...

·
Registered
319 Posts
sure thing

this is what it looks like when i took it out. the gear, a washer, a small spacer, the rear bearing, another washer, a shim, the solid spacer, and 8 more shims.

close up
That looks like a bunch of preload shims on that spacer. What do they measure?

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
yea that is way too many..50-60 k is norm the play has to be no pre load on the bearings. That big fat washer should not be there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts