Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a buildup of my 2nd gen 4runner. So far I have decided on almost everything except for which 3rd members to run. I want to have 5.29 gears and ARB's but I don't know if I should get a high pinion or 4 cyl 3rd for the front. Which one for the rear: 4cyl or V6? Maybe my question should be are those upgrades, to a HP and v6, worth the extra money. I will most likely be buying them built from marlin. Anybody have any imput. I am also not made of money and would rather not spend the money if it is not really worth while. I will be using the rig as my daily driver and doing trails such as the rubicon and similar trails.
-Patrick

·
Registered
140 Posts
I dont know, but if your going to do it soon? I'll buy your rear 3rd?

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
Inchworm talked me into a HP/5.29/ARB, and it's one of the best mods I've done.

Support the board vendors.

Doc

·
I brought the beer
11,347 Posts
Not knocking Jim at all, but for heavy use, I would rather run a low pinion. I've seen two many HP fronts break while backing up. It's just my opinion. Of course if you're running single cases and any lift, you'll need a HP to make your drivelines not get mad at you at anything over 20 MPH

d

·
Change is good.
35,183 Posts
Not knocking Jim at all, but for heavy use, I would rather run a low pinion.
Well if you've seen the size of JRT's feet or seen him drive, you'd know why he says that! :flipoff2: He's right of course, but my point is that it has a lot to do with driving style. I'm going on 2 years with 38's and dual cases and no problems. Only one broken inner CroMo axle (on Clawhammer this year), and it broke while backing up, but the R&P, hub studs (ARP froim FROR), Longfields have all been fine.

Doc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts