Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
complete slacker
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gent's,
Normaly, I woudl nto even ask, but this has been an incredi-bastard of a build for me. I can't say I had even half the bad mojo stuffing the humvee 6.2 TD under the hood of my wagoneer as i have had with this f-ing Tacoma.
Here it is: bought a 99 Taco for my 16 yr to use for a few years, then ship it to Costa Rica cause I need a truck there and this would be perfect. 3RZ 2.7 engine, Auto tranny (not stoked on it) 4WD. THis was a front end collision, bought it off IAAI - got ripped on the shipping to my shop - whole nother story. I figure, salvage title is perfect as the "value" is much lower importing to CR.
All sheetmetal fixed with collision parts, looks good, drove it and it overheated so bad the polymer plug wires melted into the plug holes! Plenty of coolant - I bleive (still yet to confirm) the t-stat stuck cause lower hose was warm to the touch and the upper was literally boiling.
Rebuild head - crack check, new valves, blah blah. REpalced t-stat. Again, before I put fuel, I will know exactly what happened. the fan clutch had been damaged in the accident, but that seemed like the extent.
Here is where I TOTALLY screwed up today!!
Put head on, had sprocket affixed to the chain so not to lose timing with two zip-ties. Used ARP studs for head. When I torqued down, realized the f-ing zip-tie on the outside DS had been caught between the head and the gasket!! Was all torqued down when I realized this. Loosened head and tried to pull tie out. it broke off with about 2" still between the head and the gasket. The tie is on the outside of the stud (front DS (Intake side).)
I ahve looked at the gasket and there does not appear to be a water jacket port in that area, but does appear to be an oil return port. THe tie does not stick out the side, so I can only assume the was it got stuck is pretty much parallel to the intake side of the head.
After losening the head up and pulling at the tie, the part that came out was flattened to a pancake.
So, as I mentioned before, in my diesels and other junk and typically, I would not even hesitate to pull the head and replace the gasket. However, I have to admit, I am sooooo over this build. If there is anything that could have gone wrong, it has. It has been a nightmare, and thus, I am seriously considering saying F-it and finishing the build and running it. I don't think the polymer zip tie is enough to warp anything and beleive it will just melt into the gasket (or so I am trying to conveince myself.)
Any thoughts, suggestions or (on topic) ridicule? Admittedly, this is my first taco and my experience is predominatly in either C/I Gassers or Diesels - and a few other german vehicles. No real TOYOTA experience. I just don't (trying to convince myself now) see how this could cause anythign but a possible small oil-leak there, but would expect it to leak into the timing chain area.
Thanks!
neo

·
Registered
150 Posts
Don't fuck around, pop the head and replace the gasket. Not worth having to do it all over again full of disappointment.

·
Premium Member
16,324 Posts
MAKE SURE ITS A FACTORY GASKET

or you will kick yourself later

·
Registered
108 Posts
ill seconf what mobil said. I had an aftermarket gasket on a 22RE that leaked out the side after being assembled. talk about making you furious.

matt.

·
complete slacker
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done and excellent advice

Not really what I wanted to hear, but knew in my soul it was the right move. Replaced it today and DAMN glad I listened!! The f-ing tie had actually gone into cyl 1 chamber!! Put eom gasket in and torqued the arps down-damn glad I did them too. Hope to have it buttoned up tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for tipping me in the right direction.
Neo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts