Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wife has recently purchased a 94 v6 auto 4 runner. Damn auto tranny won't upshift all the time but thats another post. Thing was ideling kinda funny bobbibg btwn 500-1K..what I thought was maybe a vacum leak. Also throwming a code for the egr ( was thinking irratic idle and egr maybe related.. since egr is controled by vacum?) Been putting off chasing down the code and idle cause its used for just gettin around town ~5 miles.
Well today it stalled while pulling out of the parking lot of home depot. I went there and tried starting it.. then pushed into a spot. Came back w/ the tacoma a few hours later to tow it home and it started right up but did not want to idle, so I mashed my foot into the brake and kept the idle up.. got me home.
Pulled into the drive and it was idleing all shity and irratic like. I killed it and tried to start it again... it kind of stumbled and tried to start but died right away. I bet it will start in another hour.....
What gives? FSM looks like either VAF or fuel pump....

edit... Its f*cking hot here too.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't know what causes it but mine does the same thing when it's really hot outside. Never died from it, though. My idle speed was off and made it idle funny. It was set too high. Maybe check that?

It is F'n hot here!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SOB started right up an hour or so later. Think that the initial high idle was masking the problem cause when it go to normal operating temp it went back to bobbing around 500 rpms..wanting to die. It did die by engaugein the auto tranny (putting a load on it).. suprisingly the pos started when I mashed the pedal in.

Checked resistance on VAF .. seems within spec. Would fuel filter cause this?

Thought I felt a slight hesitation while cruiseing with light throttle..no (abnormal) hesitation when pedal mashed.

88 that thing have the check engine light on?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, the check engine light has been coming on periodically lately. Usually when it's really fuckin hot out. I haven't run codes on it yet, though.

I've got to wonder if your problem is with the tranny :confused:
Mine's a 5sp. You having any cooling problems?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No cooling problems..thinking the tranny is a solinoid..just been too lazy to trck it down.
been working too much gonna tinker w/ it in the next coulple of days.. guess I am asking something stupid but I did a few searches (dial up) and didn't find dick.

found a used fuel pump and VAF on carpart.com cheap..thinking start replacing and see what happens..

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
before swapping parts, why not check the codes first...

sounds like you have an issue with a temperature sensor. A tech that worked next to me had a 3.0 4runner that shifted like shit becuase RTV was coated on a temp sender that is on the water block on the back of the manifold. before swapping shit, check the codes

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Pietro..
Before the bad idleing and stalling/ no start after warming up it was throwing code 71 (egr ?). Now it is throwing code 24 and 31.. no more 71. 24 and 31 are VAF and something else... I am wondering if the ecu in this beater is shot. The thing still up shifts intermitenly btw.

Also I checked the resistance on the VAF .. 270 ohms, according to the FSM this is within spec.
I DONT want to start throwing parts at it but I am pretty baffeled and want to start making some kind of progress. :shaking:

Any help would be appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts