Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,thanks to this forum i have almost everything to do my wrangler 4.2 to 4.0 swap. but i have one question,i can not find imfro on 4.0 into 4.2 wrangler,everyone i spoke to including hesco ,does not know if the dona engine ecu replaces my ecu or not. do i replace the harness under the hood and under the dash?will a 95 ceu hook to stock harness in a 89 4.2 ?if anyone has done this swap in a wrangler,any help would be much apreciated.
if i can share what i have gathered concerning this swap,please e-mail me. critterbill

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I realize that I do not know exactly what your project is, but here is what I just did when I put in the MPI kit.
It is really a sak up and do it project.
First I took out my ecu from the 4.2(it was behind the glovebox in my 90YJ)

I followed the wires to where they went into the firewall (out to the motor) and cut the wires. Yeah I cut them all. Then I spent over three hours hovered over the engine bay undoing black tape and peeling wire looms. It was scarier than anything that I have ever done. But I did it and it all works.

The theory or purpose is that you are removing the old computer, so anything that is connected to the old cpu is garbage. You need the new computer, it controlls the fuel injection. I am almost sure that everthing electrical runs through different wires than the ones that give info to the computer. I was lucky and this theory worked for me.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
You need to use the harness and computer from the donor and trash the original stuff. Get a factory service manual or wiring diagrams of the your Jeep and the donor engine and mate the harnesses. HTH.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts