Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I successfully swapped a Saginaw TC pump into my '98 Ranger (4.0 OHV) and wanted to share the project. It was fun to figure out and really surprising to discover how easily it integrates, but was probably overkill looking back on it. I had a batch of adapter plates made that I can sell for a reasonable price, DM me if you want one. The possibilities are pretty endless if you wanted to go w/ a remote reservoir setup.

This whole thing started when I bought my current daily driver Ranger. The Ford power steering pump was LOUD (surprise surprise). Like, embarrassingly loud in parking lots. I thought it might have been a failed pump due to the bigger tires, so I swapped out the tires and replaced the pump with a reman unit from Autozone. It was a little quieter, but still really loud. I bought a vacuum bleeder and modified a reservoir cap. After a few hours of manual bleeding and vacuum bleeding it was still loud. I figured it might have been a bad reman, so I replaced it with a more expensive reman from NAPA. It was just as loud. At this point I just gave up on the idea of a reasonably quiet Ford pump. There is a write-up somewhere about how to swap in a canned ham pump from Cardone, but the P/N has been obsoleted for so many years that the pump isn't avail anymore so I had to go another direction.

The 4.0 SOHC Ranger has a quiet pump, and I learned it's basically a licensed Saginaw TC pump that Ford went to on the later trucks, however they won't bolt onto our earlier trucks because the architecture of the motors are so different. There are a ton of different TC configurations (they're in Corvettes, Jeeps, pretty much everything), so I pulled a few pumps from Pick-n-Pull and did some measuring. The pump that looked the best was out of a 2006 Jeep Liberty V6. The pulley was about the right size, it had an integrated reservoir, and the pressure port is on the underside (the Wrangler/Cherokee pumps are on the top and won't work).

It was pretty obvious that I needed to cut the ear off the factory bracket to make it fit, but once that was off it started to look pretty possible to make it work.

A test adapter was made to make sure everything was clocked correctly, then when everything looked good it was machined out of mild steel.

Before figuring out the plumbing and belt situation I checked to make sure it physically fit in the truck. It did. Well, mostly. I had to tweak the A/C hose a little by hand and remove the engine stabilizer mount (that looked like it hadn't been serving a function for about 20-years anyway) to make room for the low-pressure hose, but it fit damn near perfectly.

Next, I had to figure out the belt situation. I installed the Jeep pulley back on the pump and determined that if I spaced the pump back about 1/8" the factory Ranger serpentine belt would fit. At this point I was pretty excited that this thing might actually work.

The final thing to figure out was the plumbing. The factory Ford low-pressure hose hooked right up without any modifications to the pump or hose. That was really lucky and unexpected. For the high-pressure connection, I took the pressure port off my old Ford pump and screwed it into the Saginaw pump. I had to loop the factory Ford hose around to get it positioned correctly, but I was excited to learn that the factory high-pressure hose just bolted up too (although it was a little difficult to get a wrench on it from the underside).

After some fresh Mercon I did some precautionary manual bleeding, but the pump works great and is FINALLY QUIET. It's not completely silent, and this is probably because I'm not using a new OE pump (which are like $400 from Chrysler), but it finally sounds normal and the steering is actually a little bit lighter (I very unscientifically measured the resistance at the steering wheel and it's about 18-20% lighter). I've put about 20,000 miles on the truck after doing the swap and it still works great. The ones I had made are laser cut and zinc plated.

I don't think this would work with the 3.0 because the bolt pattern is a little different, but I think it could be made to work with the earlier 4.0 trucks but you'd need to figure out the high pressure hose situation.

Anyway, hope this helps people who want to do something similar. -Ben

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Nice upgrade!! any way I could talk you out of a tracing of the adapter??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also curious to know if it’s any stronger of a pump? I’m putting a pile of parts together for my 98 to SAS it. I’ve got a yota pump that was already drilled and tapped for hydro. I’ve read that the stock rangers pumps don’t have enough flow to use for hydro assist. I’ll be running 35s as well. Also read that the stock yota boxes don’t have much power on their own for 35s either, however a buddy is running 40s and doesn’t complain..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice upgrade!! any way I could talk you out of a tracing of the adapter??
Hey 1sicbronconut, I don't have a tracing (all of the design work is in a format used for laser cutting), but it's pretty easy to measure the bolt hole patterns for the pump + OE bracket and play with how you want the adapter to work, but about three dimensions (fore/aft/clocking) need to be damn near perfect for it to work. I had to make an additional bracket to space the pump perfectly to make the pulley line up. I'm selling the brackets + all the hardware for $59.99 shipped. If you decide to do your own please share the results, I'd love to see what you come up with! -Ben

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also curious to know if it’s any stronger of a pump? I’m putting a pile of parts together for my 98 to SAS it. I’ve got a yota pump that was already drilled and tapped for hydro. I’ve read that the stock rangers pumps don’t have enough flow to use for hydro assist. I’ll be running 35s as well. Also read that the stock yota boxes don’t have much power on their own for 35s either, however a buddy is running 40s and doesn’t complain..

Hey Macneil -- the flow rate between the two pumps (OE Ranger and the Jeep Saginaw) is set very similar but yes, the Saginaw TC is a stronger pump design. You can get a TC in basically whatever flow rate and configuration you want (the stocker is about 850psi, you can get 1,200psi TCs, even 1,600psi and higher), so starting with a TC would be a good basis for a full hydro design. Let us know what you end up doing! -Ben

·
Registered
81 Posts
I’ll certainly have to look into snagging one from a u pull whenever they open back up around here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts