Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Thanks for all the help up to this point everyones help has been a great asset.

I have identified the following wires in the XJ harness that seem to be needed based on everyones advice. I know a ton of people have done this with great success. However, when it comes to actually hooking up wires. The info is a tad bit cloudy. The CJ is a 84. The Donor Engine is from my 94 XJ. The 4.0 is complete. Everything is hooked up and compete.

XJ harness
Power--10 Gauge Red. Stated in FSM as Ignition switch feed-Constant
Ignition-- Start and Run --12 Gauge BLue
Starter Relay--Yellow 16 or 18 gauge.
Another Ignition Wire--- Green with Black.

CJ harness
10 Gauge Red Contant power

I have tried testing the wires with 12 volts. The Ignition wire when crossed with power clicks the relay in the PDC and I get juice at the coil. However, the coil isnt hot constantly.

I do not have the Fuel Pump hooked up yet. I am running a Fuel Cell and Ford Inline pump. IS This Causing the Problem? Does the computer need feedback from the pump.

I have the FSM for the CJ and Diagrams and Bulkhead Schematics for the XJ.

I know all the answers are right under my nose and I am missing something obvious. What else needs to be done to get this sucker to crank. I am also unsure of what the redish pink wire with a white traqer does on the CJ. I am getting no juice from it at all.

Please tell me specifics and what you connected to get the rig to run. Thanks for your time and patience. This is my first real vehicle wiring expierence.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
what are you trying to do, crank the motor over?

memory is hazy, but the coil should kick off after a set time period (2sec?) if there's no crank or no start.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That makes sense. 2 seconds is just about what I counted. Spill the beans, let me know what wires to connect.

My email is [email protected]

Keep the help coming.. I wanna get this wrapped up and ready for Bigdogs..

RK

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any more help would be greatly appreciated. I am gonna hook the fuel pump up tonight and see if that changes things. Please keep the info coming.

RK

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can a brother get a table dance...^

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have all of the 94 yj schematics. If any of them would help you out let me know. I am about to do the same conversion, so i would be interested in anything you find out.

Mike

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
That pinkish red wire with the white tracer is probably one of the legs of the #13 ignition wire to the coil.
On a CJ it goes through the the key switch and then to the tach (if an option), through the firewall and into the ignition module then eventually to the coil.
In the photo of the firewall side of an '83 CJ-7's fuse block it is the fred w/white trailer wire at the upper right ...

·
Registered
589 Posts
XJ Wire Harness

Did you get your wiring fixed? I finished my 4.6L Stroker last week and put in it my CJ. I had some of the same issues you're having. Let me know if you are still having problems.

Scott

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I still have to finish the wiring hopefully this week. If anyone can email specifics that would be great. I have to figure out the NSS and hook up the fuel pump that I am having hard time finding from the XJ harness. I must of not labeled itwhen I parted out the XJ

I am not a wiring expert and I can use as much help as I can get.

Thanks

RK

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
do you have the FSM for the 94 XJ?
I think mine is at home, I can drop it off after work tomorrow.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If memory serves, the fuel pump wiring is as follows, from the engine bay fuse block: green with white trace - pump; solid blue - 12v key on; solid red to constant on. There is also a brown wire that I admitedly can't remember what it goes to. Keep in mind this is for a '96 XJ, it may be different for a pre OBDII. Good luck.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guys thanks for all your continued support. I am starting to make progress. Sundowner, I could use that FSM. I have been using schematics from the Mitchell Computer system and I have been finding some errors with the color codes.

Sundowner you can email me at work and I can make arrangements to pick it up or meet you...

[email protected]

Thanks.

RK

·
Registered
589 Posts
On the XJ harness, I didn't label it either when I removed it from the vehicle. That's because IIRC I later found it in a bulkhead connector with about 10 other wires that were not needed for the CJ. The fuel pump wire (Green/white) is routed through the cab along with the tank gauge wire to the pump.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the help.. Im getting a FSM from Sundowner, but thanks for the offer. I think I have almost solved thScott Se problem with SCott Delanos help. I didnt address the neutral safety switch.. We shall see...

RK

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After much head scratching .... IT RUNS.... The NSS was the problem.. Fired right up once I had power.. I cant believe how easy the swap really is once I got everything identified. Still have to do a few more things.

I am pumped...

Thanks for everybodies help and patience..

RK

1 - 20 of 24 Posts