Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I am having an oil pressure problem with my '02 TJ. My oil pressure is jumping up to the 60psi range and when driving/ under slight throttle it jumps to 80ish psi.

I changed the oil about 1200 miles ago and went with a "oil change special" last oil change from my local parts store. I previously have had only K&N filters on it, but a mastercraft one was included with the deal. I have also only used regular pennzoil and went to the high mileage pennzoil .

My funds are extremely limited or else I would have taken it to the stealership. After checking the oil multiple times nothing seems off, the oil is only slightly dirty.

Any insight on my issue would be great. The Jeep is my primary means of transportation and I am very uncomfortable driving it in its current condition.

·
Registered
361 Posts
If your thinking it has something to do with the oil change then switch back to what you used before. Change the oil and the filter.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The oil pressure sending unit (sensor) is located right above the oil filter on the 4.0's. They sometimes go bad and give false readings.

You can pull the sender out and place a harbor freight oil pressure gauge in the port. Make sure you use the correct adapters.

This gives you a mechanical oil pressure read out, compare that to the dash readout. You may only need to replace the sensor. Rock Auto has them, and they're pretty cheap.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your thinking it has something to do with the oil change then switch back to what you used before. Change the oil and the filter.
^Thanks for the reply. I really have no idea what it could be, thus my posting here. I know that there are a ton of people way more skilled automotively then I am on here and I was hoping this might be something that someone had experienced or had knowledge of.

Changing the oil seems the only variable since owning the vehicle. I have had it for over 6 years and only had to change the starter, about 3 years ago, and add oil and tires as needed. The only aftermarket peice on the drivetrain is a Banks intake, which has been there for 2 1/2 years. Jeep has 145xxx miles on it.

I fully intend to change the oil this afternoon or tommorrow AM in hopes of it being an easy fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The oil pressure sending unit (sensor) is located right above the oil filter on the 4.0's. They sometimes go bad and give false readings.

You can pull the sender out and place a harbor freight oil pressure gauge in the port. Make sure you use the correct adapters.

This gives you a mechanical oil pressure read out, compare that to the dash readout. You may only need to replace the sensor. Rock Auto has them, and they're pretty cheap.

Good luck.
Thanks. This is what my good mechanic friend said, but we were unsure of it's location. Mice decided it would be fun to eat my Chilton's manual in the shop this winter. That kind of makes since as I have had a very slight valve cover leak and there is a little oil on the passenger side of the block.

edit* I have a sensor lined up for pick up this afternoon after work. Going to change the oil and the sending unit in hopes of it fixing my issues. $45 at my local Advanced. Anyone know if it could be something else I should maybe look into?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Jeep is fixed.

Changed oil/ filter, did nothing.

Changed oil pressure sending unit, pressure back to normal. Requires a 1 1/16" wrench. Why I had one I don't remember, but I'm damn glad i did. Would have been quite a bit less fun without and using an adjustable wrench. Not impossible, but not fun. For those who don't know the sensor should be at the 9 o'clock position relative to the oil filter. If doing it again I'd have done it while the motor was empty of oil.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Damn I love a happy ending.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts