Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got my 4.6L stroker motor togher and in the jeep - 97'tj- my old radaitor is lookin kinda funky. should i get a 3 core unit from a mail order place, or buy a stock unit and get a flex lite electric cooling fan? my jeep ran hot on the highway but never off road with the 4.0L but i'm afraid with the stroker it will really run hot if i just get a stock radiator.
has anyone ever bought from jeep radiator .com?

my choices 1. 3 core radaitor from mail order
2. stock radiator and electric fan

·
Registered
564 Posts
I've been running a 4.6L stroker for 3 years, with the stock radiator/fan, and never ever had an issue... If your rad is acting funny, it might be just that. I don't know that you need to upgrade the rad or fan, imo.

·
Registered
623 Posts
my stroker didn't run hot when it was 120 outside and I was rockcrawling. all stock cooling

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am running a '93 XJ with a 4.5L stroker. I put a 3-core radiator from radiator.com in when I did the rebuild. I also run a 180 degree thermostat but everything else is stock. Before the stroker and radiator, it ran extremely hot all the time. It now runs between 200 and 210 almost all the time even though I am missing a fan shroud. A 3-core and maybe a thermostat should solve your problem.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your responses:D i think i'll try a stock 2 core radaitor,, heck it's a $120 bucks cheaper than the 3 core. if i have any more problems i can resort to the electric fan:eek: . i also forgot to post, i bought a flowkooler pump too:D if that make any differance.
before i get too execited,,, what kind of power diff. did you guys notice ( seat of pants ) with the stroker. happy ya did it?

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a 4.7L Stroker and I replaced the stock radiator with a larger 2 row unit that is supposed to cool as good as a 3 row. I got mine at Orielly's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run a 4.6 stroker with a 3 core from radiator.com. It was only something like $130 so it was a no brainer. The mounting tabs on the radiator were all wrong and I so I cut the flange off the old radiator and welded it to the new (I think that would have voided the warranty) I also run a 180 degree thermo and can't get it ever heat up.

Even at Johnson Valley in June at 114 degrees outside, never even raised the engine temp. I don't think many running strokers have cooling issues as a result of the stroker.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My factory radiator quit and I went with a 3 core from radiator.com. Problems solved and it was a straight bolt in. I would keep the mechanical fan if possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts
One more thing.....

I welded in a piece of expanded steel between the mechanical fan and the new radiator so I won't have a fan go through the radiator again.

see pic

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
the 3 rows from the onlines places are the smal size as the 2 rows. They just use samller tubes to get 3 instead of 2. Smaller rowsw clogged up faster. get a 2 rows, the tubes are bigger and flow better. Modine from Napa is the way to go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts