Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Orion 4:1 cast iron t'case

From Advance Adapters site:

The time has finally come for a heavy duty, low geared, rock crawling, transfer case for the Landcruiser. It's name is "Orion", Its gear ratio "4.0:1", its case is "Cast Iron", and its gears are helical cut. More details are on the way and will be posted as they are available. Here is the catch, it wont be ready until the beginning to mid summer 2003. Here is the deal, order it before April 30th and get locked into the low introductory price of $1370.00. So call now and get yours on order today! 1-800-235-2223 or 1-805-238-7000.

Paul

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
How much stronger is a cast case?
The D18 and 20's didn't hold up all that well as I recall.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did a search and the only thing I could find was that teh D18 to T400 adapter was prone to breaking.

The cast iron case has to be stronger than the aluminum case.

·
Registered
10,444 Posts
I think it probably is a lot stronger. But really, for the cost I would think long and hard about an atlas..

If you are going to spend $1300 or so I would make it a lot stronger. Having both sides offset is an inherently weak design..

I am glad people are steping up to the plate with Cruiser stuff though!!!

I love options!!!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
I am assuming there will be no drive line modification needed?
Should just be a bolt in ?
60 to 1 with a stock 4 speed in a DD ain't bad for the price and a afternoons work of install your ready to go.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Good stuff!!! This sounds awesome. Finally a bolt in tcase with some lower gears. But damn, marlin's supposed to be comin' out with some drop-in 4:1 gear sets for the 4 spd t-case.... The dilema now is should I order up the AA Orion while its at that price or try and wait out for the drop in gear sets from Marlin...

·
Premium Member
5,906 Posts
ninetimesnine said:
Good stuff!!! But damn, marlin's supposed to be comin' out with some drop-in 4:1 gear sets for the 4 spd t-case.... The dilema now is should I order up the AA Orion while its at that price or try and wait out for the drop in gear sets from Marlin...
Don't know where you heard that:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
In my Cruiser it would mean going from 48:1 to 96:1. That's pretty damn good considering I end up with an easily cashable split-case and I don't have to make any modifications to the tranny hump. I'm assuming I'll have to change driveshafts, but I'd have to do that no matter what option I go with.

This is, of course, *assuming* that the Orion fits with an H55F...sigh!

$1,400 bones, though...what can I sell? Plus I'll need another $200 for the bling-bling twin-stick.... :flipoff2:

·
Registered
237 Posts
will this case come with a cast nose cone? i have broken three of them the stock case's are super strong but the cones :confused: .
if any of ya'll now of a way to make the stock 3sp t-case nose cone stronger please let me now. and no atlas is not going to hapen.
thank's

·
Registered
13,838 Posts
$1400 is a lot of money for a case. I'm sure a lot of work went into it though.

edit* The same price for the Toybox though so I guess it's a good price.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You're right, but for poor buggers like me who have an H55F, it's either this Orion or the NP203 crawler box, Toybox is not/will not be available for the 5-speed. I guess a Klune-V is supposed to be in the works, but there is no confirmation that it will fit an H55F. the AA RocBox definitely doesn't. I don't know about the Atlas, but I don't think it does, either.
The NP203 is a little bit more flexible in terms of ratios and yields a lower final ratio but is also more labor intensive and complicated. Cost would probably end up pretty close, I'm guessing.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Would you still be able to run the PTO winch on this cast iron case?? I'm doing everything i can to keep my PTO while getting lower gears. If not i guess it's either a sm465 or a toy box....

Travis

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I don't see how they will be able to do it for the price....wardens al cases were that alone. Given this is a cast piece will drop the price on the transfer case itself but still to cut that many gears I will be shocked if it doesn't equal an Atlas in the end.....

·
Registered
529 Posts
For a bolt in replacement for my 3-speed case..............

It would be on the $$$$ side but it sure would be nice behind my SM420.
I'd consider it and I'm a poor cheap bastard. :D

·
Registered
543 Posts
Damn, all of these new products......I might just have to buy another cruiser and start over :D

Disk brake cruiser, sprung over with used FJ60 springs, stock drivetrain, 4:1 case, junkyard fuel injection, find some used lockers.....can be done.....oh yea...I have no time:(

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Karl, the new cast 4:1 case would look good behing your SM-420.:eek:

We're going to Tellico the lst week of the month, I would see if you wanted to go but I seam to remember you have a little one on the way soon.

Paul

·
Registered
37 Posts
i wonder if they would be into selling just the cast case without the gears as i dont need them since i just put in a AA rockbox behind my sm 420 which gives me somewhere around 196:1 so i dont know if i need 4:1 t case gears also

1 - 20 of 37 Posts