Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 YJ with a stock 4.0/ax-15/np-231 drivetrain. I recently aquired 35" all terrains at a cheap price. What I want to know is if swapping a 4.10 rear end from a four banger will turn 35's? Will I need to regear the front as well? I won't be doing very much crawling but will be climbing hills and bogging as well as some road driving.

·
Registered
850 Posts
What I want to know is if swapping a 4.10 rear end from a four banger will turn 35's?
with all terrains you should be good. but should you ever want to get wider or taller tires or even tires with more of a hardcore tread design for that matter, you should go with 4.56s. good luck.

·
Registered
352 Posts
a couple people here mentioned that 4.56 gears would be better, and they would. However since it is such a pain to regear and can be expensive I would say that 4.56 or 4.88 would be a much better investment than 4.10s, especially since you are running a four cylinder engine. Gears can't entirely make up for horsepower but it can help.ALWAYS HAVE MATCHING GEAR RATIO FRONT AND REAR.

Just my .02 good luck with the project.

·
Registered
55 Posts
plasticmanhey I agree with you about he should run 4.56s instead. But he has the stock 4.0/ax-15/np-231 drivetrain, not a four cylinder engine.

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
If its geared 4.10 already, id just run em. I have 37s, a 258, 4.10s and a t-18 4 speed (higher first gear then the ax-15 and no OD) it takes off good, no reach into higher RPMs tho. I can do 70 and still keep it under 2500 RPM, just barely. If you gear too low, you start running into weaker pinions and running out of top speed if you run the road alot.

·
Registered
968 Posts
You definitely need the same gear ratio front and rear. I can see you're trying to save money by using the 4:10's that come out of a -cylinder rig. Unless you're getting the whole axle front and rear, you are still going to be into it for the bearings,carriers, etc. To answer your question YES, 4:10's will turn 35's with the AX-15 and the 4.0 liter but 4:56 is much better. If you're stealing a set of 4:10's out of a 4-cylinder rig you will need the carriers as well. Yours wont work for anything larger than a 3:55 or 3:73 I believe. I also beleive there are a few people on here selling complete 30 and 35 housings for a YJ that already have lower gears in them. Look in the Axles, tires, and wheels section and maybe place a wanted ad in the classifieds before you go spend money on beefing-up a D30 and 35. People have already done what you are doing and have since upgraded to larger axles, etc. and are now getting rid of them. Just my $.02. Good luck to ya.

This guy has a upgraded D30 (front) for sale but it looks like you missed out on the upgraded 8.8 rear. It's a bit far from you but it's a good example of what I'm talking about. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677264

This guy has a carrier and some 4:88'S for a D30 front. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=692865

This guy has a complete rear D35 with gears and locker (4:10's) http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693181

A complete set for front and rear http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683834

I doubt you can obtain any of these things due to distance, I'm just trying to steer you another direction. D30 and 35's aren't worth spending a ton of money on, see if you can find a set of axles already upgraded and save $$. They are out there, you just have to look.

·
Registered
37 Posts
4.88's are the best combination for 35's, 4.56's are the minimum in my opinion. The 4.10's will turn the 35's but you still wont be happy. if it's something to get you by due to lack of money, then i say do it. BUT be sure to get the front to match the rear, or else pull the front DS so you can never go into 4wd.

I also would not recommend running a 35" tire on a D35... your just asking for trouble there.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
i run 35s on 4:10s with a four banger (don't blame me, bought it like that) and trust me you will want it lower it does well off-road but thats merely cause i'ma footdown kind of guy and on the street its got no balls at all

and not gearing the front the same as the rear would result the same as watching people with twin sticks put the front in low and rear in high cause they removed the inerlock pins (funny to watch when its not your jeep i may add)

4:10s work and are better then stock but i would go to like 4:56s or 4:88s

·
Registered
23 Posts
4.88's are the best combination for 35's, 4.56's are the minimum in my opinion. The 4.10's will turn the 35's but you still wont be happy. if it's something to get you by due to lack of money, then i say do it. BUT be sure to get the front to match the rear, or else pull the front DS so you can never go into 4wd.

I also would not recommend running a 35" tire on a D35... your just asking for trouble there.
i agree 4.88s

·
Registered
306 Posts
Any ratio will 'work', meaning make the tires move. Whats best involves a lot of things, mainly revolving what you intend to do with the truck. In a DD street truck, 4:10s will help mileage with lower engine revs, but suck for performance.

If off-roading is part of the plan, a D35 and 35's is a really bad plan. I wouldn't waste a nickle on the D35, not even for temp gears. Swap the axle for bigger (D44 at least, 8.8 is better). Figure any money spent between now and what is long term best is wasted. If off-road, I'd go with (did go with) 4.88.

·
Registered
154 Posts
i run 35s on 4:10s with a four banger (don't blame me, bought it like that) and trust me you will want it lower it does well off-road but thats merely cause i'ma footdown kind of guy and on the street its got no balls at all
4:10s work and are better then stock but i would go to like 4:56s or 4:88s
I've got a 4 banger and run 35's also, but 4.88's and it runs fine. Down the road and in the trails. Speedo seems to be pretty much right on also. With the 4.0 I'm sure you'd love the 4.88's. I've gota agree about the 35's and dana 35 combo, go to a 44 or Ford 8.8 I've got the 8.8 in mine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts