Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about swapping a 4.0 for my 4.2 in my 87 YJ so that I can get the FI before I bring my Jeep up to Alaska. My question is are there any companies that sell a 4.0 crate engine that would replace my 4.2 and still work with my stock manual transmission, and still be able to pass smog in California. Also I'm thinking about replacing my t-case, are there any companies that would sell a brand new t-case that would replace the stock one. And I'm not looking for an atlas. I know this might be considered Newbie stuff so if the Mods think it is move it, but I wanted to post it here because I think that it might get looked at more, and that way I might get more feed back.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
why not just get a bellhousing from a (T150? T176?) cj with a ford pattern tranny, then put a T18 or NP435 with a ford NP205 behind it? though the 205 doesn't have that great of a low range you'll never worry about breaking it like an NP231...don't think the jeep tranny is all that hot either, i think it's either the light duty toyota tranny or the peugot gearbox

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I probably should have also mentioned that I'm not looking to build a trail rig, but just upgrading stuff so that a California Jeep can be driven up in ALASKA and I might be swapping a 4.0 for my 4.2 and if there is a better t-case that will bolt into place of the one I have now I might consider doing it, but for the most part this is still going to be a DD. But I want it to be a fairly capable DD.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
First of all, I would have ATLEAST posted this in the Jeep Forum. :rolleyes:

I know that you can get 4.0L long blocks from Golen Engines, but they are going to be just the engines, not fuel system or electrical systems.

You might want to check out J&W Jeep Wreckers in Antelope, CA. They can set you up with a low mileage 4.0L with everything you need to swap out your 4.2L.

Have you looked into Hesco?Hesco They developed MOPAR's MPFI kit and sell almost everything for swapping 4.0Ls into Jeeps.

You could also just do the MOPAR MPFI kit and keep your torqueyer 4.2L engine and save some troubles.

As far as the T-case, if you still have the NP207, then the next step up on the t-case ladder would be a NP231. You could also do a flipped D300 t-case.
If this thing is really just a DD, then I would not bother installing an Atlas. Just a lot of money for a DD (IMHO)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the reason why I'm looking into the 4.0 swap is because the 4.2 that I have now has like 300,000 miles on it, and if I get it up to Alaska with that many miles on it I have a feeling that it will be up and over 400,000 in less than 5 years.

Yeah I know that an Atlas in a DD is a waste of money but I have to tell people that I don't want it because some people are here are real ass hats and would spout off with put an Atlas in it.

I probably should have but oh well. You brought up a good point about talking to J&W I might be able to find a 4.2 with low miles and just get a lower mileage probably better condition 4.2 and then put the FI kit on. Probably would save me a lot of money and time and hassle.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Robert said:
First of all, I would have ATLEAST posted this in the Jeep Forum. :rolleyes:
Do you read the Jeep Forum? Asking a newbieish question in there is like throwing a bucket of chum into a shark tank, then climbing in and going for a swim.:eek: He would have potentially gotten some good info from people willing to answer, but he would have had to wade through 10 "STFU Newbie" posts for every informative one.

I would think that your route is going to depend on how much money you can afford to spend vs. how much work you can/want to do yourself. The cheapest route would probably be to find a wrecked late model Jeep and get all of the wiring harness etc. with the motor. That will involve more work on your part to get everything running. The easier more expensive option would be to rebuild the 258, then put on aftermarket EFI. In that case, all your EFI stuff would be designed specifically to be installed aftermarket and would come with instructions etc.

On the t-case. If you aren't looking to build a hardcore trail Jeep, is there any reason not to keep the one you have? If the one in there now made it a couple hundred thousand miles and hasn't given you any trouble, I would just throw a rebuild kit it so you know it won't give you any trouble and call it good. Then you don't have to worry about adapters, new driveshafts etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts