Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this one i feel i should know,but i don't.oh well.
i've heard the 4.2 is an evolution of the 3.8......does this mean that it shares the bell pattern with the 5.0,or is it the same as the 4.6/5.4 in the 97/98 trucks?
i have a friend with a 97 f150 4.2 who has blown up two motors so far and is interested in going with a 5.0 from a mustang,and it would be a lot easier if it bolted up to her transmission.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
theoretically, it should be a small block pattern.

no idea for shure. climb in and measure the spreads.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the problem...i won't have access to the truck untill i get the parts lined up and am ready to have it towed to my shop.i don't need it plugging up a bay while i'm shopping.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
id propably go ask on fte or ftw.. if anyone knows they probably do.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I thought the mod motors were supposed to be small block bellhousing pattern too... Although I haven't worked with them much...

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
the mod motors aren't standard small block patterns, but thats the question.. are 4.2's small block or mod motor pattern?

·
Registered
84 Posts
4.2L shares the push rod small block pattern along with the 5.0L and 3.8L. The modular blocks have a different pattern (4.6L and 5.4L).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks,buckster....thats what i figured,but wasn't sure.don't want to get a bunch of parts together with a tight timeline and find i can't bolt the motor to the trans.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok, like I said before I know the transmission housing will bolt on. I did some more research into this, and found that there may be a problem with the flywheel though. I was told that the flywheel bolts on the 5.0L are standard where as the 3.8L/4.2L are metric. I was also told that the flywheel from a 5.0L will not fit into a 4.2L tranny housing. Might want to check into this some more on some of the mustang sites. I have a 3.8L mustang, but don't have any of the parts in front of me to measure.

Just some more info to look into.

·
Registered
278 Posts
They flywheel bolts on a 5.0 are 5/8, the 4.2, I dunno.

88-up 5 speed truck hardware should work, as your buddy has the M50Dr2, same as a V-8 truck. As long as you can get the motor to bolt in, you should be able to run the flywheel/pilot bearing/starter from a 5.0 truck, say an 89 model, and get away with it. Your 4.2 clutch might be a 10.5" unit, if so you are a bit screwed, as I highly doubt the starter will engage a 10.5" mustang flywheel (157 tooth versus 164 for trucks). No biggie, run the 11" clutch/flywheel from the 5.0 truck as well. Make sure you get the correct starter, as different manual trans truck starters have different engagement points, screwing that up will hurt you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well,as much as i appreciate the help,looks like it doesn't matter anymore.she had the dealer toss in another 4.2.
have to see how long this one goes for.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts