Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I searched around a bit about headers for 4.3's, and no one has really posted about this. A few guys had some clearance issues with their TBI's, which opted them to call Sanderson and get custom built ones. Here is what I got
96 4.3, all stock except for an intake. My options are the usual Downey, Thorley etc. etc. Usually in the ballpark range of $300-$500 bucks for a pair. To those of you who have put aftermarket headers on a Vortec 4.3, would you say it was worth it? I'm already at about 205hp but I'm going to be doing a bit of towing with it so a few extra ponies wouldn't hurt. Of course, I could have gone 350 but obviously that is not my question. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
tuckn18s said:
A few guys had some clearance issues with their TBI's, which opted them to call Sanderson and get custom built ones.
I don't recall, reading about having Sanderson make custom headers, but they do make a nice set that most people have had no trouble with. Check them out HERE

I believe CRASH used them in his 4.3 project HERE .

They seemd to work well for him. I'm gonna use the same ones on mine.

Other people also use the factory tubular headers that come on Astro vans. I think they have to be '89 and newer, but i cant remember exactly.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Well, I believe there was one certain year that El Camino's had stainless headers on thier 4.3's from the factory. I have a set im going to use on my 95 4.3. This info is not for sure 100%, but the guy I bought everything from told me he got the headers from a el camino, or maybe it was a monte carlo, hell I dont remember!! And supposedly they were stock.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
It was around 86 that 4.3's had a factory style header

Arent snanderson header like kinda crack prone if used on off road stuff?

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
if this is in a toyota, then the problem is fitment..

i've heard and seen the tubular astro van style manifolds work..
i've heard and seen the sanderson headers work..
i've heard that the nwor conversion headers will clear everything and work..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SPEED FREAK said:

Arent snanderson header like kinda crack prone if used on off road stuff?

Camo used Sanderson Headers on his 4.3 and I have yet to hear about him cracking them. I figure if he can't crack em', no one can.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
There was someone talking about it like 6 mo ago or so. Don't remember who - but they cracked

hmmm search time :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Never heard of anybody having cracking problems with the sandersons. I did a search for a couple days and found a # of sites where guys opted to run them on there conversions(not just toys, jeeps,ect) and they all responded with good feedback. I was VERY impressed with the quality, and opted for the ceramic coating, one thing camo wished he had got whenm he got his.. The fit was extreemly well, as long as you have room for the Y pipe to cross under the front of the oil pan(even with my hp44, flat springs no clearance issues). The rig I am currently finishing up with the 4.3, has NWOR headers,a dnthey FAWKING SUCK ASS!!!!! One other nice feature, no gasket needed, I don't even run one at the 3 bolt collector, flange type of seal..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Crash- do I have to run the exhaust under the oil pan if I run Sanderson's? Keep in mind I have a 90 Toy so I think that I have a bit more engine room than your 82'. Something about heating up oil makes me nervous. This will be a DD as well as a freeway driver so I would rather not heat my oil with an exhaust system. What do you think?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts