Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4.3 starter ??

I am doing a 2000 4.3 v-6 vortec swap into my toyota, I am using the stock toy R151 tranny, I have searched and found different starters that people have used with the swap, but they didn't specify how many teeth the flywheel was, I am runnig 153 tooth flywheel.
I am trying to find what starter I need, I dont want to run a mean green or a expensive mini starter, I am looking for a stock chevy starter that I can get from napa.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
you need a starter for a 4.3 nothing special just the stock starter.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Will there be ANY clearance issues with the stock 4.3 starter?
Allan

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
yes. thats why myself and others use the mini style starter. but since you stated you wanted a big one i figured you were gonna just build around the starter. seems easyer to use a small starter than fab custom headers but to each his own.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wasn't for me camo, just curious. Thanks for clearing things up. Which starter are YOU using?
Allan

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
i bought summits mini starter. it has the ability to be clocked in a few positions. with out that feature i would have not been able to get my sanderson headers to fit.

i have seen people build very trick custom headers to route around stuff and just figured you wanted a stock starter so if it went out you could get one at a auto parts store which is a good idea. however building he headers is a big task for most.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Just use your stock starter that came with the '00 Vortec. It is a gear reduction starter from the factory and will not cause any clearance issues.

My '98 Vortec 4.3 mini starter fits perfectly fine in my '84 Extra cab converstion.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
Chad said:
Just use your stock starter that came with the '00 Vortec. It is a gear reduction starter from the factory and will not cause any clearance issues.

My '98 Vortec 4.3 mini starter fits perfectly fine in my '84 Extra cab converstion.
he wants a full size starter as stated in his post

·
Registered
695 Posts
You're right. I took it as he didn't want to pay $300 for an aftermarket mini hi torque starter. I'm not sure what the price is for the factory gear reduction one is either.

I know I can buy a brand new aftermarket mini hi torque gear reduction starter for $149 at my local starter & alternator shop.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
$300, my god, I don't have $100 in both my minis' but i also get the hook ups :flipoff2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts