Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know this has been done before so why can't I find any info on it? All I really need is a little help on the motor mounts and wiring I know the 4.3 has it's own computer but what about the fuel pump and ignition? Thanks for any help you may have.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, I can think of one 4.3L swap in an Amigo. There is not much out there for you to read. It will be much custom work depending on what you are working with.

Since you need to also replace the tranny, x-fer case, drivelines ect, you have some work cut out for you. In addition to things like making it fit, plus cooling it.

As for wiring, it is going to depend upon what 4.3 you use. The later, the more work (and cost) you have. Carb vs FI will also make a big difference. These things will also dictate the requirement for a fuel pump.

Needless to say, it pretty much involves removing the old drivetrain and replacing it with another. Add mounts as and where needed.

So, how about some more info about your particular situation?

Michael

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so I have a 90 amigo 2wd so no x-case to worry about, donor vehicle was a 95 astro TBI with matching tranny. Measurements came up has, tranny from amigo belhousing to tail i2 30 1/2 in. ,4.3 tranny is 30 in. and the mount is almost exactly the same spot and is the same to bolt up. The 4.3 comes with a computer that runs the engine only straight out of the astro only 6 wires that are hooked to the engine that have to be traced down, of these I'd assume that at least 2 of them are starter relays and ignition circuit. Engine in the amigo measures at 28 1/4 in. to the front of all pulleys, 4.3 measures 32 in. to front of fan but without fan around 28-29. so size isnt really an issue, motor mounts on the other hand isuzu used basically a block with bolt attached to it chevy used a half moon shaped plate attached to the frame rail with rubber inserts that had a bolt that went through them and the mounts from the engine. Hope this is enough so maybe you can help me a little? I can take pics if that would help?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm in the middle of a small block chevy swap on my '98 Amigo right now, so you should have no problem fitting the 4.3 in there, even with the long water pump which you could change if you had to. A couple of options exist for motor mounts for your truck to perform your swap. You could use Advance Adapters part# 713007, or a universal Trans-Dapt crossmember made for putting Chevy's in strange places. TRD-4810 is the part #, and you want to use ENS-1114 motor mount pads with it. Either way, you will cut all of the stock mounts off of the frame, and grind it smooth, then weld the new mounts as necessary. Personally, I'd use the Trans-Dapt crossmember and the Energy Suspension mounts. It just looks cleaner. The crossmember is easily modified by cutting to width to fit in between the frame rails. There are a number of companies that make block hugger headers to fit the 4.3. I don't think your stock manifolds are gonna fit. Are you thinking of converting to 4WD? Do you have to smog it? If not, you have a *lot* of options available to you. Keep watching the V8 Amigo thread, I'll be posting pics in a few days...

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts