Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm been running the 8v tracker motor for a year and half and its time for more power and an auto would be nice. I've sourced a complete 2003 4.3L with 2wd trans. What is my best option for transfer case? I'm on 37's, 5.29 geared yotas, and I have 6.5 gears in my t case so that would definitely have to change if I kept the sammy case. I'm low on power and cant get the wheel spin I need sometimes.

NP205, 231, Dana 300, Sammy case???

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I'm been running the 8v tracker motor for a year and half and its time for more power and an auto would be nice. I've sourced a complete 2003 4.3L with 2wd trans. What is my best option for transfer case? I'm on 37's, 5.29 geared yotas, and I have 6.5 gears in my t case so that would definitely have to change if I kept the sammy case. I'm low on power and cant get the wheel spin I need sometimes.

My buddy has a Chevy 350 in his w/turbo 350 and the Advance Adapters kit for the Toyota T-case. Fits in well ... the T-case, not the 350/Turbo 350 combo ... It was his choice since he has Toyota axles and already had the T-case. Works good and the drive shafts were easy since he just had to cut down a Toy front and rear then bolt them in. Another buddy has a 4.3 w/Turbo 350 and Toy case in his and he has cracked his transmission, but never the Toy case.

HTH

Sean

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My buddy has a Chevy 350 in his w/turbo 350 and the Advance Adapters kit for the Toyota T-case. Fits in well ... the T-case, not the 350/Turbo 350 combo ... It was his choice since he has Toyota axles and already had the T-case. Works good and the drive shafts were easy since he just had to cut down a Toy front and rear then bolt them in. Another buddy has a 4.3 w/Turbo 350 and Toy case in his and he has cracked his transmission, but never the Toy case.

HTH

Sean
That sounds like the winning combo. My wheelbase is 107 so I'm not too worried about length. I already have a toy top shift case and full toyota driveshafts. I machined my own outputs for the samurai to bolt yotas right up. I just broke my driveshaft so I can retube it longer/shorter if needed. Gonna have to keep an eye on the classifieds for an adapter to 4l60

·
Registered
662 Posts
My zuk has the 4.3 with 2wd 4l60e to dana 300. Since i had to change output shaft anyway, AA has an adapter kit that replaces the output to a full lenght single shaft with the right splines for the 300. 27 IIRC. No intermediate shaft and or bearings to deal with. The adapter housing only adapts the bolt patterns and houses the VSS. Makes it a direct swap to an atlas down the road.
If you were to go that route, dont forget to up grade the sun shell and use the corvette servo while that trans is apart.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

Best option is an Atlas.

Be careful with the 4.3 on toyota axles... I couldn't keep the thirds alive for anything. I was also seeking the "wheel spin" you're looking for. I would recommend upgrading your axles to 1 tons at the same time or plan on changing thirds every trip.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
Best option is an Atlas.

Be careful with the 4.3 on toyota axles... I couldn't keep the thirds alive for anything. I was also seeking the "wheel spin" you're looking for. I would recommend upgrading your axles to 1 tons at the same time or plan on changing thirds every trip.
Yep, everyone needs a Zuk with an Atlas on Tons~! :flipoff2: Someone needs to learn to set up their 3rd members correctly for their application :shaking: and before this turns in to a pissing match about how you did or did not set them up right please understand that they failed ... sooooo you didn't ... period!
Bring on the hate ...FlAmE SuIt iN FULL RETARD :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Sean I'm thinking the Yota case is the way to go, and I already have one. Now just need to find a used adapter. $800 for the AA kit would make it the most expensive part on my rig.

·
Premium Member
1,849 Posts
Yep, everyone needs a Zuk with an Atlas on Tons~! :flipoff2: Someone needs to learn to set up their 3rd members correctly for their application :shaking: and before this turns in to a pissing match about how you did or did not set them up right please understand that they failed ... sooooo you didn't ... period!
Bring on the hate ...FlAmE SuIt iN FULL RETARD :flipoff2:
what this guy said. Your axles will be fine, just know your limits.

everybody told me i'd blow up sami axles every trip on 35s. still no failures to this day. it's all about how you drive and maintain your rig

I would go dana 300 though. better low range and stronger case. Then if you want to upgrade to v8 power and 1 tons someday you wont have to upgrade your tcase too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my setup:

4.3 + th700r4 +AA adapter +dual TC toyota (RF1A, 21 splines), toyota axle with 5,29 TV6 R&P and 38 TSL, works fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts