Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need opinions on which engine to swap into my 63 FJ40.
it'll have an NV4500, dana 300, dana 60s w/4:56 gears, and 38-12.50s.
I'd like to get the best fuel economy, which engine would you suggest?
and I know it's a cruiser, it wont get good milege, but one has to be better then the other.
thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,609 Posts
When I use to drive my FJ60 on the street with 36s and an SM465 it got like 15 MPG one time I drove it from Colorado to Oregon like a week after I did the conversion and it got about 18 or 19 MPG loaded with gear. O ya its a TBI 5.7. Or you could do it like my FJ40 which has a 327 and gets 10 MPG but it will pull the front tires off the ground!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
ih8mud.com

Yeah, I agree. You'll find everything you need there. I ended up going with a 5.7 based on info at that site. But I didn't pay much attention to gas milage issues.

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well gas prices are over 2 bones a gallon around here, and I'd like to be able to drive my fj not just look at it cause I'm poor and cant afford to. I have been to I h8mud, was looking for some first hand experience with the 4.3 vortec.
And it had a 327 when I first got my FJ, I pulled it and sold it along with all the other unwanted parts ( turbo 400, 3 speed case, and stock axles). what ever I put in there will be late model, and EFI.
thanks to all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts