Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kid, 14, got a sweet 85 toy this summer, clean! Has a fiberglass shell on since new and mostly garaged. But at 286K the gal ran it out of oil... we put in three quarts, turned the motor over by hand then cranked and it started, but was noisy. So it needs a rebuild at least, probably new head I think I read in the FAQ somewhere there are no bearings on the head for the cam.

So a Friend has a 4.3L that ran and smoked, needs a rebuild but comes with headers for a Toy, oil pan for IFS and aluminum carb intake. I could resell the oil pan and intake towards fuel injection, still need an adapter or I saw a NWOR bellhousing clutch adapter but price was $700.?

Should we rebuild the 22r? Or rebuild the 4.3L? Or am I missing an easier low budget engine swap?

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
if its for your kid, and its just gonna be something to get him around town and to school once he gets his license, reuild the 22r or swap in a 22re. The 4.3 is a nice motor but if he insnt going to be doing harcore crawling with 40 inch tires there really isnt a need for a 4.3. its just going to be more more for the same thing you gan get from a 22r. Just my .02

·
Registered
27 Posts
Swap in the 4.3L or SBC 350

i rebuilt a toyota 22r for a 2wd with a crane cam, full iginition, LC enginerring distruberter, bored .020 over, yad yad...still did not have a hole lot of power and for the same money i had in it, i could have done a 4.3L or SBC350 with the same fuel economy, less strain on the motor, and more power.
he may just be a kid now and not need the power but why spend the money and not get all avalible? you might also concider a chevy trans and maybe even and chevy t-case.
I also have a SBC 350 toyota 4x4 so i know first had the differance

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
22r

If I was giving it to my 14 year old I would stick with the 4 banger. A high school kid with the power of a 4.3 would impress his friends and your wallet when its broke all the time from pavement abuse. Beside I thought the same thing you did about the cost, sell this, a friend has this, 3500$ later I finally cranked it up.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm doing a 4.3 and it's not cheap. If i were my kid and we wanted to an engione swap i would do the 3rz. I have one in Tacoma and it's a good little eninge. I have 31's on my taco and i got 24-25 mpg going from Grand junction, co to North Platte, Ne doing 75-80.

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lot's of good ideas. What is involved in a 3rz/2.7 or a 5vz/3.4 swap? I thought they had a differant bellhousing than the 22r? Or will the 3rz/2.7 or a 5vz/3.4 bellhousing work on the five speed in the 85 22r.

·
Registered
357 Posts
We also recommend staying the Toyota route for many reasons already stated. The 3.4L swap is sweet but will cost you quite a bit like the 4.3 will. With either V6 you should change the trans and will have to spend time/$ on the motor mounts. A larger radiator would also be in order.

The nice thing about the 3RZ is that you can make your stock trans, radiator and motor mounts work. This will save you time and $.

If you are doing the 2.7L or 3.4L swap and need some assistance, check out our site, we make some parts that may help. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
A TBI 4.3 in stock trim would have plenty of power and relatively inexpensive. Use a NV3500 from an S10 or K1500 which should be fairly easy find and less expensive than an adapter to a toyota tranny. Use an NP241 from a ~'91-92 K5 Blazer since it would be passenger side drop and still used a speedo cable.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
if you're doing this on a budget, which it sounded like you are in your first post then rebuild the engine you already have in it. From the words of my old high school auto shop teacher: Kiss-Keep it simple stupid!
Your truck is already setup for the 22r. You wont have to change you're wiring harness, motor mounts, tranny, radiator, etc... by rebuilding the 22r. if you have time, money, patience, and knowledge then yeah a motor swap would be badass. If this is the route you choose, my vote goes for either the 2.7, or the 3.4. Not the 4.3

·
Registered
161 Posts
is this a father and son project if so i would do the 4.3. My dad and I built a ranger a long time ago and i wish they had kept it and givin it to me during high school. if he breaks his knuckes on it he won't fuck it up now that i wrench on my cars the burnouts happen less often.:flipoff2: and i am 20

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
What about the 7-mge motor from the supra......its fuel injected makes almost 200hp in stock form and bolts right up to your motor mounts and W-56 tranny.

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What about the 7-mge motor from the supra......its fuel injected makes almost 200hp in stock form and bolts right up to your motor mounts and W-56 tranny.
That sounds to easy? What's the cure for the overheating? The 85 toy it's going in has a new 3 core radiator.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts