Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
yea...sounds to easy so there must be a catch (i.e. the overheating issue is a pain to solve)...I have no idea but I am curious to the answer because I am in a similiar situation...

·
Web Wheeler For Hire
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Found this in the FAQ, haven't read it all yet but seems as though 4RnrRick has put some time into this. Thanks Rick!
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=363262

That's almost a 100% increase in power!!! Not sure the kid needs that in a first car. Although he has done most of the off road driving in the last two years... 100% HP increase for street may not be the right thing...

So I may look at the other smaller toy motors...

Question may be how is a rebuilt 22r with 33s on highway and mountain driving? We can do almost all trails around here on 33's with lockers, skids, sliders. Maybe 35s?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
isnt that swap a thing of the past? overheating issues. Go with a 2rz/3rz.

I understand the overheating can pose a big problem and I have not done the swap myself yet....that being said I think that a good size 3-core or a 2-core aluminum radiator with a good electric fan should keep it fairly cool. I'm not saying that this is the best motor to swap in but it should be at least consider for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Question may be how is a rebuilt 22r with 33s on highway and mountain driving? We can do almost all trails around here on 33's with lockers, skids, sliders. Maybe 35s?
I run a 22R with 253k on the bottom end, new head and cam, weber and a little bigger exhaust than stock, with 4:88's and 33's, and it is no issue on the road. Sure, I can't run 5th up every hill, but it'll hold 50-60 up a mountain road type hill in 4th easy (would do more, but the only time I encounter that type of hill, the speed limit's 50).
IMO, a highschool kid doesn't need any more power, it'll run down the freeway and gets up to speed plenty quick on the highway, and still gets 17mpg city/highway even with my heavy foot.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts