Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've completed an engine swap with a 99 4.3L. It was necessary to change out the distributor. Now it won't fire up. The balancer has two timing marks approx. 75 degree's apart. Can anyone explain why there are two marks and how this should be set-up?

Everything else seems to be in order. Spark at all the plugs, plugs are wet with fuel, compression is good. Even a shot of ether brings no sign of life. Seems like it's gotta be the timing. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Did you have the engine running before you swapped it in? If so, was it in the original vehicle when you got it to run? Are you using the stock computer? If so, did you do something about the VATS? I am not sure why you would have two timing marks, i don't remember seeing two on my 98 4.3.

Are you getting spark from the wires? If not, then I suspect computer VATS maybe. If it sparks, but no run, then sounds like timing is off.

I sent my computer to http://www.fastchip.com/index.htm

On the timing issue, once #1 is at TDC, point the rotor at the #1 pin on the distributor. It is kinda wierd, but #1 pin is not where the #1 plug wire attaches. You have to follow the molded plastic from the plug wire to the pin on the dist cap.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
There are two TDC's. You need TDC on the compression stroke. Find a TDC, then back the piston down a bit, cover the spark plug hole with your finger, and bring the piston back up. If you feel pressure out the hole, you are at TDC compression. If not, then rotate engine to next TDC. Now that you are at TDC compression, check the rotor on the distributor. If it is not pointing to the #1pin on the dist cap, pull the dist and rotate it.

·
Registered
10,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too had fastchip rework the computer.
All good points you made on the distributor and TDC, that's what we did.
In conclusion, I was trying to use the stock Toyota fuel pump and that was my problem. Pouring fuel directly into the "throttle body" the engine will run. I was getting fuel, apparently just not enough.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yeah, I needed a pump that put out 50 psi. Some have used a pump out of a EFI Ford 150, search on that. I, also, had problem with mine trying to use the stock fuel lines in the Jeep. You might need to run 3/8 fuel line from the pump, or it may stall on acceleration.

Ben

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Darn frustrating for something you work so hard on to refuse to run! I used the toyota gas tank with a stock gm pump fabbed in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts