Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed they make wire cup brushes for 4.5" grinders.
Anybody ever use them in a high rpm tool?
Kinda scarey plucking a 1" long wire out of your leg.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Be careful that the wheels are rated for the rpm. They will still throw wires, but not quite as bad. Many that will fit the grinder are rated for much less.

·
Premium Member
10,038 Posts
They make my grinder vibrate horribly too.

But I kinda like that:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I planned on double checking my rpm before buying the wire cup. It'll make cleaning an axle housing alot easier.

·
Registered
25,168 Posts
The wire cup I have has the braided lines, so they're kinda tied into bunches. I think it holds the wires better, and it's great for heavy stuff (it acts like a few really fat wires, rather than hundereds of skinny ones).

·
Registered
28,619 Posts
Pazuzu said:
The wire cup I have has the braided lines, so they're kinda tied into bunches. I think it holds the wires better, and it's great for heavy stuff (it acts like a few really fat wires, rather than hundereds of skinny ones).

ABSOLUTELY. Don't even mess with the wire cups. Go stright to the braided or twisted type thing where they're in clumps. They'll last more than 10x longer. It'll also save you time changing cups and stick a lot less wires in your crotch.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Lowe's had the stray wire cups or the braided flat wheels. I got one cup to try it, pretty awesome, compared to the old fasioned way. It does throw some wire though, hurts too. I think this one cup will do a whole front axle, I just spent 10 minutes on the inner C and the long side tube.........all clean now.

I didn't see any braided cups.
Pazuzu, who makes the braided cups? Lowes only carries DeWalt. I may need to go elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Try Airgas "used to be County Welding and now across the street"

Carefull the greasy wires can give you a tatoo when they stick, or so I have been told. I have not gotten one from it though.
The worst is when they stick in you pants make it through the wash then tear your leg when you put them back on.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Matt, I forgot about them.
I know all about getting wires and chips stuck in my pants, every now and then I find a copper chip in my carpet at home.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
i used to use a wire cup in a cordless drill with some carb cleaner to clean off my honda transmissions. worked beautifully. gave it a near polished shine. after a bit of dust settled it wasn't so shiny, but still a lot cleaner then the greasy pos it was...

·
Registered
25,168 Posts
JeepinDoug said:
I didn't see any braided cups.
Pazuzu, who makes the braided cups? Lowes only carries DeWalt. I may need to go elsewhere.
Sadly enough I still have the empty package laying around :eek:
Milwaukee, "Knot Cup Brush", part # 48-52-5040 for 5/8-11 spindle.

I'm 99% sure it came from Home Depot, because that's the only place I shop for stuff like that.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I use them all the time. Two words

FACE SHIELD

Once you have taken a face sheild off and noticed a piece of wire sticking out of it. It makes sure you will never forget it again.

·
Registered
762 Posts
We used the wire wheel on the grinder this past weekend to clean up an old 9" - worked awesome. It wasn't the "Cup" style, but a flat style like a wheel with wires. It was a cheepo, and all the wires were missing at the end, but it did a fantastic job. Goggles/face shield a must :p

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The cup ones are great but the bigger one 4 in. dia something like that is hard on the grinder. The smaller one works great and the grinder doesn't get as hot.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pazuzu said:

Sadly enough I still have the empty package laying around :eek:
Milwaukee, "Knot Cup Brush", part # 48-52-5040 for 5/8-11 spindle.

I'm 99% sure it came from Home Depot, because that's the only place I shop for stuff like that.
Ah, okay thanks. I'll try Orchard, they sell Milwaukee, Home Depot is a PITA here.
Found a couple wires in my pants this morning on my way to work, yeouch!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
i use my wire brush on the old grinder works like a charm!:flipoff2:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
safety goggles of course a must. I don't even do a quick touch up with any sort of wire wheel without them on even if I am just running it for a second. When I was doing my front axle after I got it from the junk yard I definately came in one time and looked in the mirror and had a wire sticking directly in the tip of my nose. It was lodged pretty damn deep too. Whenever I use one I always have like a million wires stuck in my jeans...

·
11,310 Posts
Doug, I would definitely be careful or the hgh RPM tool. They will definitely come off, and I already got one on my neck before using an air type drill. kinda hurt my neck, so I am very careful.

I almsot lost my thumb on the sawzall, so I learned my lesson well. Extra extra protection, specially ey protection.

Gui

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I always use face and eye protection. I'll even throw the leather welding jacket on if I am doing a lot of cleaning. This works great.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts