Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 84 cucv with 4.56s stock, one tons etc. etc. I am putting in a 6.0 vortec motor which will have a computer tune on it and other than that, remain stock for now. After the motor is in, it will get 42 iroks. Is it worth it for me to regear to 5.13s? I am thinking it wont be a huge difference. If i regear I will have to buy a new locker for the rear cause the stock detroit wont work with 5.13s and have to pay someone. So I am thinking of keeping the 4.56s and spending the money on a front detroit and chromo axles and ctms for the 60. Any oppionions? Thanks

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told since I have a CUCV 14 bolt which came stock with a detroit and 4.56s wont work, cause you need a 4.10 and down detroit for 5.13s. Im not sure though, I know the detroit in them is a little different than the one you and I can buy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a 84 cucv with 4.56s stock, one tons etc. etc. I am putting in a 6.0 vortec motor which will have a computer tune on it and other than that, remain stock for now. After the motor is in, it will get 42 iroks. Is it worth it for me to regear to 5.13s? I am thinking it wont be a huge difference. If i regear I will have to buy a new locker for the rear cause the stock detroit wont work with 5.13s and have to pay someone. So I am thinking of keeping the 4.56s and spending the money on a front detroit and chromo axles and ctms for the 60. Any oppionions? Thanks

It's not like you're running 3.07's... I'd spend the dough on a front locker.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I was told since I have a CUCV 14 bolt which came stock with a detroit and 4.56s wont work, cause you need a 4.10 and down detroit for 5.13s. Im not sure though, I know the detroit in them is a little different than the one you and I can buy.
No, it is exactly the same, even has the same part number, and it will work fine in your current carrier with 5.13's.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Just as stated above, there is no reason you can't use the Detroit with different gears...doesn't matter what ratio the 14-bolt FF Detroits are all the same because they are a "drop-in" style locker for this axle. The carriers, not the Detroit, is what is different between different ratios.

In any case, you can put in 5.13 gears using the existing carrier but you are more limited to gear brand selection because most aftermarket companies only make 5.13 "thick" gearsets that work on the 4.10-down carriers.

Since it sounds like it's mainly an off-road truck, you will get a lot out of a front locker in regards to capability while going to 5.13's really won't make the truck much if any more capable off-road.

·
Registered
848 Posts
No, it is exactly the same, even has the same part number, and it will work fine in your current carrier with 5.13's.
I have this same issue. The detroit locker will work just fine and there is no difference. What I think he is trying to say is that the 4.56 carrier is different than the 4.10 and down carrier. The problem is that the 5.13 gear set is hard to find and expensive to buy, so most suggest that you buy/get a 4.10 and down carrier to do the 5.13 swap.

To answer you question, I'll ask another question. How much street driving do you do? I have 42's with 4.56's and wish I had better gearing on the occasions that I'm at altitude and climing hills. Don't get me wrong, it does just fine, it's just working. Although your 6.0 (LQ9 I would imagine) will do much better than my mild 350.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
10% street. I have a trailer for it, so the only times its on the street is if I want to mall crawl on a nice day or take it to the carwash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts