Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a hybrid truck. I have a 77 Chevy with 350/350 - 203 part time kit. I am putting 60/14 bolt with 4:56 gears.....I was wondering what experience have you guys had running this gear with 39.5 swampers.

I come from the Toyota board, but I am now building a Chevy and I do not have as much knowledge dealing with Chevy's....

Thanks for any help given.

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
Shaker said:
Should be fine with that combo....Lock the front at least......good luck building.....
Hey tim when are we getting an update on your k5 project? Itll be time to go beat on that thing before ya know it. :D

l8r -j-rOd

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to weld the rear and Detroit the front.
I figure if I feel the need for more gearing, I could always add a 205 case.....

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
jhama78 said:

Hey tim when are we getting an update on your k5 project? Itll be time to go beat on that thing before ya know it. :D

l8r -j-rOd
ITS snowing I aint workn on any of my junk....busy doing customers

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Depends on weight and the motor (power and low-rpm friendlyness), but I'd say it would be a little under geared. Crawl ratio would be 2.52 x 2 x 4.56 = 23:1. I run 39.5s with 4.56s, but with a 700 and a 241 (was a 208 until last summer), 3.06 x 2.72 (2.61) x 4.56 = 38:1 (36.4:1). It works for me, but I wouldn't mind a little more. Motor is a stock 350 TBI, and I can hit 6k loaded for the trail easily.

Pete

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I'd recommend 4.88 or 5.13 myself. I have 4.56, but I have a 402, and it's mod'd. I am opting for more motor mod's rather than gears. I still might get the gears though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have 4.88s and they are EASILY enough to turn my 39s with a 350. I pretty easily light up the rear, so i think he'll be fine with 4.56 unless he's rock crawling.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will be removing the entire body and placing on a S-10 Cab only.......That shoudl shave several pounds. The motor is stock ( as far as I know)

I will be putting a exo cage on the truck, which will add back a little weight.

I am in the east,,,,not many rocks here

Thanks for teh input...

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I dunno about with a TH 350, but my SM 465 works quite well with my 3.73 and 38" tires behind a mildly built 350. I think 4.56 will be fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
SM456 has a 6.55 first gear, as compared to a 2.51 ( i think) TH350. So I'm not surprised.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
good point bowtie. I run 4.56 with 700r4 and 208(currently) and I can only spin them well in compound low with a tired 350. I would not want anything lower then my compund low though, plenty for me.

Charlo

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
BowtieRed said:
SM456 has a 6.55 first gear, as compared to a 2.51 ( i think) TH350. So I'm not surprised.
2.52 first in the TH 350 but don't forget almost 2:1 for the convertor.

BTW, I forgot to mention that I NEVER use low gear in that tranny. It is totally useless unless I am coming down a hill.

3.58:1 works just fine

·
Registered
165 Posts
should be fine. I just installed 60/14b with 4.56 and 39.5 tsl's on my 79 k5. Very mild 350 (Crane High energy cam, performer intake) pulls just fine up hills, able to accelerate up modest hills in drive.

·
Banned
1,024 Posts
I have been running 39.5 swampers for years with 4.56 gears in my 79 chevy, I read somewhere the 4.56 gear is the "economy" gear for a 40" tire, the 5:30 being a "performance" gear. but the deapest you'll get for the 14 bolt is a 5:13.
Good Luck, post some pics as you go, I'd like to see how you do it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will post some pics......Currently the only thing left on truck is the cab hull, the doors,fenders,bed etc...is all removed.

We plan on removing the cab this weekend and pressure washing the entire drivetrain and frame - Then the work begins....

I will get some pics this weekend and try and keep them updated weekly

I have purchased the D60/14 bolt, locked front/rear with a set of grooved 39.5 swampers. I will be running full hydraulic steering...have not decided what springs I will run yet.

Thanks for the replies so far..Jim

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:

I have been working night and day on my truck. I have the S-10 cab on, drivetrain in, radiator mounted etc......I still need to get my steering, front driveshaft, paint and exo cage.

I was tinkering around in the yard, I was not able to do much because of no steering, but the truck seems to have plenty of power.

BTW: if someone can give me there e-mail, I will send some pics to be posted.

I ended up getting a shortened suburban frame, ORD shackle flip and 4" springs up front.

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
TN85YOTA said:
Update:

I have been working night and day on my truck. I have the S-10 cab on, drivetrain in, radiator mounted etc......I still need to get my steering, front driveshaft, paint and exo cage.

I was tinkering around in the yard, I was not able to do much because of no steering, but the truck seems to have plenty of power.

BTW: if someone can give me there e-mail, I will send some pics to be posted.

I ended up getting a shortened suburban frame, ORD shackle flip and 4" springs up front.
hit me at [email protected]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts