Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and can't find anyone with personal experience to help. I am trying to decide between 4.56 or 4.88 R&P for my 88YJ 6 cyl 5 spd. 33" BFGs. Daily driver but only around town very little highway. Doing the Rubicon in July. Anyone who can tell me how their rig drives with 33s and either of these ratios would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
I have no eal world expertise but I know that I am going with 4.56 and i have a 5 speed the 6 cyl and i am going 35s. I would go with the 4.56 for your application because i do a but more highway driving.

Q

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
oh, and get a 4 to 1 low kit for the rubicon. you will love the crawl ratio

Q

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
If you don't drive many highway miles, go for the lowest gears you can find :flipoff2:

I have a chart for gears vs. tires somewhere around here.
I'll post it when I find it.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
4.88! go lower, if you don't you will regret it later! some how you always get taller, even when you never think you will... :D

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
If your going to stay with 33's - 4.56's . If you even think about going higher and w/ migger meats, get the 4.88's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I run the 4.88's with 33" tires and I drive about 60 miles one way to work with it every day. On the trail it is much better than the crappy 3.73's. Driving that much on the road starts to suck but I would not trade for the 4.56's for anything.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I run the 4.88's with 33" tires and I drive about 60 miles one way to work with it every day. On the trail it is much better than the crappy 3.73's. Driving that much on the road starts to suck but I would not trade for the 4.56's for anything.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I ran 4.56's on 33's for a few years when the Nav was my DD. Perfect gear for the 4.0 and that tire IMO.

That being said, I'd go with the 4.88's. You know you'll go bigger than 33" someday.

And you NEVER hear someone say on the trail "wish I'd gotten the higher gears".

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have 456's and a really low first gear so it's ok. I had 33's when I did the 456's and now I have 36's, when I go to bigger I will regear but until then I am fine. I would say go for the 488'S. The chart is a great thing but your RPS will be different due to the auto/manual and the fact that your 33's probably don't measure 33"

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Yeah but if he does go to a bigger tire, he'll need new axles anyways, so he'll need to regear then again. I'd go with 4.56 gears in a dana 30/ 35 with 33" tires. Actually if you have cash to regear, put in new axles with new gears instead of spending money on axles you are just going to toss later anyways.

·
Registered
549 Posts
go 4:88's for on road, But if you go with 4.56's you will not tell the differance off road.

·
Registered
362 Posts
For street driving X1/Y1=X2/Y2 where X1 is the stock gear ratio and Y1 is the stock tire diameter and X2 is the future gear ratio and Y2 is the future tire diamater. So solve for X2 and you get Y2(X1/Y1)=X2. For instance 33(3.07/27.5)= 3.69~3.73 Using this method you can retain your stock speedo gear. For offroad use anything goes.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
4.88 since it is a 5spd. if it were a 4spd then 4.56's due to the loss of OD and the first gear would most likely be lower than the 5spd.

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
ive got a set of 4.88s waiting to go in my 44 and 30, ill be running 33s, and possibly sticking on 35s in the future. I much rather do it once by going 4.88s than spending money and dealing with the PITA and $$$ of doing the swap again. My jeep is rarely on the highway, and when it is its for less than an hour, so 4.88s will benifit me more on the streets that i run, and offroad, well thats a givin of course we all want some low ass gears.:flipoff2: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
A friend just showed me this page. <www.ring-pinion.com>. Check out the engine RPM calculator and then figure what gear ratio you need. Seems it has a lot more variables to consider than just tire size.

Later,

Dan

p.s. Thanks Tom.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts