Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to purchase a new 4.7 stroker long block inline jeep 6 cylinder motor, or hell it can be used, i remember seeing an ad in 4wheeler a while back that sold these motors complete, anyone know there name and number, i need the name and number to every company that sells these
thanks in advance:D

·
Banned
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you have got to be kidding me 5000 bucks for a 4.6 stroker long block with the required injectors, hell you can by a damn ramjet 350 for that coin, any one no of a cheaper company than that, im just a little skeptical, has anyone ran one of these stroker motors, how is the power compared to that of a stock chevy v8, what about reliability
adam

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Little too much skinny this weekend eh? :)

Here's one place that sells a kit:
Bear Turbo
This one's cheaper:
Hesco

·
Banned
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
i didnt by it complete, im just wondering if theres anything special about the accurate 5,000 dollar stroker motor, im not interested in "kits" only complete motors, long blocks

·
Registered
589 Posts
Build our own stroker. It's relatively simple. All you need is a 258 crank and rods, 4.0L engine, 24# ford injectors and a set for Silvolite #2228 pistons that are dished an extra 23cc's. I was looking for a 4.0L to put in my CJ. I found one that was siezed (Freebbbbeeee) had it decked, machined and everything balanced. There is no voodoo magic to it. With a new crane cam, I've got a shit load of torque off idle and more importantly NO CARB!!! This is probably one of the best Stroker sites on the web.

·
Banned
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my block is trashed, my oilpan is trashed, the engine is seized, basically what i am saying is all that is good is my injection, intake, header, and accesories, that is why i need a long block, i only have 3 weeks to get this thing going, i really dont want to fawk with building it, so i need sources for long block strokers.......and no i didnt give it to much skinny it blew at like 2000 rpm, i had a bent rod from hydrolocking it a month b4 it let go

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Well, that sucks. Have you thought about just picking up a 4.0 or whatever you are gonna stroke, and put that in there just as a temp. replacement, then when you have the $ or whatever, doing the stroker? Or does it all have to be done at once?

·
Registered
589 Posts
These Strokers have been used for years by quite a few AMX, Ramblers and other AMC guys. They are very reliable engines especially as a torquer. It yields nearly 280 Ft/LBS @ 3200 at the wheel. I'll take that any day!

The only downside to stroker is the sound. No matter what you do to a I-6, you'll NEVER get the sound of a nice V-8.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Yeah why not just another 4.0, you can get a good one for like 1k, why do you need a stroker??? I mean it would be cool I guess but I guess Im missing the point, it seemed as if you had plenty of power with just the 4.0 as it was.

·
Registered
589 Posts
There is a big difference in a stroked and stock. I agree that the 4.0L is a good engine. A direct swap is probably the cheapest route to go. I decided to rebuild a siezed 4.0L. If you do a rebuild on a 4.0L, It would be plain stupid not to do a stroker. Deck the block and dish the piston grab a 258 crank and rods from the garage or a friend. Bam, you've done it.

Cost wise, above normal machining cost for a rebuild ($650-$800). you need to remove .30" from the nose of the crank, dish the pistons($100). TOTAL with parts and everything, including the 24# injectors, was about $2,400. That was the cost of not only the stroker but everything needed for a swap into a CJ which was close to $1000.

Yeah why not just another 4.0, you can get a good one for like 1k, why do you need a stroker??? I mean it would be cool I guess but I guess Im missing the point, it seemed as if you had plenty of power with just the 4.0 as it was.
I'm not trying to flame you but, I don't take the "go-arounds" Yeah it was a little more work, money, research but its different and will out run any 4.0L. I'll even put this engine against many SB's on a trail. It's lighter, more responsive and I don't have to turn 4K to get to the peak of the torque band. This stroker is built to pull off idle.

Sure, It's not a V-8. I'm not dissing a V-8. NOTHING BEATS A GOOD V-8. The Stoker makes a good engine (4.0L) a great engine (4.6L).
:)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
So if skinny were to run just a 4.0, would he have the option later of doing the boring/whatever else necessary? You know, so he would be able to compete in 3 wks, and afterward, do all the stroker mods?

·
Registered
589 Posts
McSoo said:
So if skinny were to run just a 4.0, would he have the option later of doing the boring/whatever else necessary? You know, so he would be able to compete in 3 wks, and afterward, do all the stroker mods?
Yes, sure. I would slam another 4.0L in for interim and rebuild his seized block as a stroker. Then sell the replacement 4.0L.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Golen engine service sells a long block here

But, I really agree that you should make your own. The machine work is so minimal, the time should not be an issue.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
ScottDeLano said:

Yes, sure. I would slam another 4.0L in for interim and rebuild his seized block as a stroker. Then sell the replacement 4.0L.
Umm... I don't think he's gonna be able to rebuild his seized block. Maybe you missed the part about the hole in the side of the block. I didn't think that was repairable...

·
Banned
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
golen here i come, i like that 3500 price tag a little better, now i will call and see how long to get that sucker here, and get it on the way thanks guys
if anyone finds one cheaper let me no, ohh ya and i dont want to put a 4.0 in then pull it a month later and put something else in, whatever i put in will be there to stay till it blows up

1 - 20 of 39 Posts