Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever personaly installed these before?The only reason for doing this is my lh manifold is cracked(tictictic). Just pulled it in and put on the lift and the bottom manifold bolts where the motor mount brackets bolt to the block are looking tough to get at. I did some searching and found the jba and magazine article,youtube vid . Checked the haynes manuel and seems straight forward until till you start looking up from the bottom or through the wheel well . The info i'm looking for, is can I actualy get at those bolts after the heat sheilds are removed,It almost looks like you would have to remove the entire motor mount assembly to get at the two center lower bolts.
Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
What did the instructions say? If they said you can get em'... you probably can. put some pen' lube on, let it soak in. just for insurance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When I worked for Toyota, we did these manifolds all the time in the truck. The factory manifolds seem to crack due to a poor design, but everything can be done in the truck. It sure is tight, and you will need some sort of swivel sockets and contort yourself in weird ways, but it's definitely do able w/o pulling that beast.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Like ^ said. They are a bitch, but they will come out.

I think every 4.7L that comes in the shop has the driver manifold tic. Once you get your old ones removed you'll see why they fail. Stupidest flange design I've ever seen on a fabricated manifold.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys thats what i needed to hear. I just ended up putting o2 sensors in for now. I opted out on this till I order new studs and nuts to eliminate any extra down time , some look new and some are real rusty.I'm in upstate NewYork and the shit they put on the roads here is retarded. Was going to have the dealer put them on ,but they completed frame change before the headers showed up.

·
Registered
10,213 Posts
I did them on a Sequoia a few weeks ago. Not a fun install. It "looks" like there is tons of room, but the two middle bolts on the bottom are a bitch. As stated, you can get to them with some properly placed swivels assuming they aren't rusted together. One of my O2 sensors wouldn't come out, but i have another one here.

PB blast everything for a couple days before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts