Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been researching this for a while, reading everything I can find here and 4x4wire about swapping 4.77’s into a 1st gen Rodeo (or Passport in my case) D44. I haven’t come across a single successful case. So please indulge me, and possible shoot holes in my theory before I waste too much money.

Here are the basics:

Vehicle: 1995 Passport (not 1995.5)

-Front 3rd member from a 98 Amigo (I will verify the 43/9 tooth count when it is in hand)

-Rear 4.77 R&P from a 93-95 4cyl 2wd Rodeo. This is the key. Both Merlin @ St. Charles and JLEMOND on the wire have verified the part# for this vehicle is currently available. Not cheap, but available. This should be the same axle as my D44, right?

Now, I know that the 98 10 bolt 3rd is kind of an odd-ball, and that people have had no luck installing the ARB that fits every other 10 bolt. Since I plan on installing the 3rd as-is, it should bolt up, right?

The attempts that I can find, have used the R&P from the 98+ Amigo that the 3rd came from. We know this doesn’t work due to the oversized pinion shaft in the 98+ D44. This R&P is shown as a different part #.

Help me out here, it seems to easy :bounce2: :bounce:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Andre75 said:
-Rear 4.77 R&P from a 93-95 4cyl 2wd Rodeo. This is the key. Both Merlin @ St. Charles and JLEMOND on the wire have verified the part# for this vehicle is currently available. Not cheap, but available. This should be the same axle as my D44, right?

the last 2wd rodeo i saw had a 10 bolt rear with drums.

not to muddy the waters ...........too much

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
not to muddy the waters ...........too much
On the contrary, that's what I'm looking for. From what I'm being told, this vehicle shows the same carrier and bearing part #'s as my D44. I've aquired a spare carriers and axle housing that I can bolt up the ring gear and test fit the pinion with out tearing down my truck, so I'll be sure of the fit before I commit (any further)

Just trying to verify that no-one has been down this road before to no avail.

Does anyone know where I can reference Isuzu part #'s online to do some further research?

·
Registered
320 Posts
TrooperRS said:
the last 2wd rodeo i saw had a 10 bolt rear with drums.
be careful if you're making that judgement soley off the drum brakes (not saying you were though). I've seen drum brake'd D44s come out from 2wd Rodeos... specifically thats how we located one with a 4.56 gear ratio to replace a GM 10-bolt in Rodeofox's '92.

-Rob

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just pulled up that R&P part number online:

Universals & rear axle - Rear axle - Differential - Ring & pinion
RING and PINION, Rodeo, 2WD - W/O DANA AXLE 1991 - 1994

I guess that answers my question :barf: Must be the 10-bolt.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
hmmm, that would be a GM 10 bolt (7.6) i think int he ones early 93 and older. pretty sure that would be either 2x or 4x4

the 4x4's had a D44 rear in late 93 (with disks) w/ 4.10 or 4.30 (depending on wheel package)

OK...this should help clear this up :flipoff2:

hollander exchange.......

when i look up a 90-92............these are the options i get:

"C" clip type axle, 4.56 ratio (41/9 teeth, HC6)
"C" clip type axle, 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
"C" clip type axle, 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)
full spline type axle

when i look up a 93-95:

drum brakes (4 cyl), 4.56 ratio (41/9 teeth, HC6)
drum brakes (4 cyl), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
drum brakes (4 cyl), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)
disc brakes (6 cyl), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
disc brakes (6 cyl), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)

96-97:

drum brakes (4 cyl), (4.56 ratio, 41/9 teeth, HC6)
disc brakes (6 cyl), (4.30 ratio, 43/10 teeth, S7C), 3 sensor ABS (sensor in pumpkin)
disc brakes (6 cyl), (4.30 ratio, 43/10 teeth, S7C), 4 sensor ABS (sensors in axle tubes)

98-99:

4x2 (drum brakes), 4.56 ratio (41/9 teeth, HC6)
4x2 (drum brakes), 3.73 ratio (41/11 teeth, 6NW)
4x2 (drum brakes), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
4x2 (drum brakes), 4.78 ratio (43/9 teeth, S2J)
4x2 (drum brakes), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)
4x4 (disc brakes), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
4x4 (disc brakes), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)

2000:

4x2 (drum brakes), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
4x2 (drum brakes), 4.78 ratio (43/9 teeth, S2J)
4x2 (drum brakes), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)
4x4 (disc brakes), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
4x4 (disc brakes), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)

2001-2003:

(2 Dr Sport & 4 Dr), 4x2 (drum brakes), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
(2 Dr Sport & 4 Dr), 4x2 (drum brakes), 4.78 ratio (43/9 teeth, S2J)
(2 Dr Sport & 4 Dr), 4x2 (drum brakes), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)
(2 Dr Sport & 4 Dr), 4x4 (disc brakes), 4.10 ratio (41/10 teeth, GT5)
(2 Dr Sport & 4 Dr), 4x4 (disc brakes), 4.30 ratio (43/10 teeth, S7C)

2004:

(4 Dr), 4x2 (drum brakes), (4.30 ratio, 43/10 teeth, S7C)
(4 Dr), 4x4 (disc brakes), (4.30 ratio, 43/10 teeth, S7C)

98-99 you could get a 3.73 :rolleyes: ...weird.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for indulging me Matt :p

I knew this was too good to be true :shaking:

RodeoRob suggested (via PM) that going with the common aftermarket 4.88's would be doable, given the typical traction of our east coast environment. Assuming I can keep 4x off the pavement :D .

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone have the part numbers for the 4.77's that go in the dana 44? Thats all I'm looking for, not to highjack your thread though. Any help on this would be great. If you have it you could e-mail me at [email protected]. I'm wanting to use these gears in a chevy dana 44 if possible.

Thanks, Scott T.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
D
Does anyone have the part numbers for the 4.77's that go in the dana 44? Thats all I'm looking for...

:smartass hat on:

maybe you need to read the thread before posting. :rolleyes:

reading comprehension is going to be key here.....can someone else explain this to him?

:smartass hat off:

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:shaking:

Thomud1 - The entire issue here is the un-availability of 4.77 gears for a standard D44 (i.e. what you have). They are available for a 98+ Isuzu Modified D44, which uses a thicker (close to D60 size) pinion shaft.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
oh btw...............i have a set of 98-99 D44 OEM gears on the way to me to do actual comparisons.

i have the reg D44's here, and the 98+ OE's should be here in a few days.......so i will post some conclusive pics and specs. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Maybe you missunderstood me. All I want is the part number for the Isuzu 4.77 dana 44 gears. I know that it is for a modified 44, but I'm still looking for the part numbers. So get off you high horse and help me out if you would.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Thomud1 said:
So get off you high horse and help me out if you would.
oh yeah, now i'm really going to help you :rolleyes:

care to explain how i misunderstood you when you said:

"I'm wanting to use these gears in a chevy dana 44 if possible."

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ok... so from what I have read Isuzu never put 4.77 in any of their D44. But I read over on the wire that the Jeep Rubicon had 4.77's in their D44's. So you should be able to take those and put them in the rear of a Rodeo. Right? :D

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm pretty sure Matt has looked into the Rubicon gear set as well, and for some reason, be it lack of information, that dosen't seem to work :confused:

I've though about grinding down the 98 4.77 pinion shaft to accept a standard bearing. Bansil told me that due to the grade of steel (can't remember the spec), that it would need to be ground down with ceramic. Not something just any machine shop can do. Hopefully Matt will be able to verify, but I think the difference in dia. is about 1/4".

swap a 12bolt into the rear
4.77's for the 12 bolt aren't exactly common either :flipoff2:

I'm trying to avoid an axle swap here

I'm beginning to like the idea of 4.88's. By my calcs, to compensate for the difference, I would need 0.37" difference in tire radius front to back. That's not too bad.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I've though about grinding down the 98 4.77 pinion shaft to accept a standard bearing. Bansil told me that due to the grade of steel (can't remember the spec), that it would need to be ground down with ceramic. Not something just any machine shop can do. Hopefully Matt will be able to verify, but I think the difference in dia. is about 1/4".
You can't grind with ceramic, :flipoff2:

that's what grinding wheels are for :p

I'm still kinda worried about heat buildup,possibly annealing part of the pinion
as it's turned down,that's alot of meat to come off.

You can turn the pinion down possibly, but since they are probably Heattreat'D 8620 (very hard)you would need ceramic/carbide.

Maybe rough the pinion on a lathe and then finish it on a grinder.....

anyways.

Have heard about "sleeving" a stock D44 pinion,so it will fit into a D44
HD(98+) housing.

Does anyone actually have a Spicer part number for these gearset's or individual number's?

Might try to pull some strings and "find" some print's laying around .........
(that would be nice)

Which Dana/Spicer plant makes these,or are they farmed out?????

The plant here makes drivetrain pcs,u-joints,yokes,steering shafts etc.

Goodluck Andre75

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've never heard of a rubicon 4.77, but I know they have 4.10 that have a thick ring gear that is thicker than a stanard 4.10. It's on a 3.73 carrier. I know you can get the rubi gears and lockers to work in a regular 44 housing by using the right combination of rubi and stanard bearings. The reason I need the part number for the isuzu 44 4.77 is to see how it fits on a rubi locker that I have. Machining anything from there to get them to work is another story.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
i think there is some general confusion and double talk here already. lets break down the issue here:

there are 93-97 rear Isuzu D44's:

1.) these use a standard D44 ring and pinion, But the OEM (original equiptment isuzu ring) ring gear is THICK and it is set up on a LOW (3.73-) carrier w/ an ABS ring spacer

2.) the pinion is a normal diameter, the internals of the diff casting use normal bearings . A few have reported needing to use 1 of the OEM pinion bearings to set up the pinion due to the ID of the housing.

3.) all standad ratios work, and several different combinations w/ thick and thin gears and carriers can be combined depending on what you are going for.

4.) i sell thick and thin D44 gears w/ standard pinion for these.

98+ rear D44:

1.) larger diamiter pinion shaft requiring a different i.d. on the pinion bearing. Or a different bearing.

2.) 4.77's were available int he 4cyl models of these years.

3.) with out some "juggling" of bearings or machine work, the 98+ gears would not "drop" right into the 93-97 housing, or any other D44 housing using standard gears.

4.) the 4.77's would be a THICK gear (ring)

RUBICON's have 4.88's NOT 4.77's

i'm sure there is a way to make different combos work, i just need to get all the gears in front of me to document the differences.

who runs what?

Peter in Denver has an OX w/ standard 5.38 D44 gears in a 98+ housing............this was set up BY OX in FL. so there is no real documentation of how they did it.

Travis in Denver has standard 4.88's set up in a 2000+/- rodeo rear 44 on his SAS'd rig. Matt @ rockware in col. springs set it up, i have not talked to him about the solution he came up with yet.

Damon in NJ runs 4.77's from a 4cyl in his 98 amigo f/r w/ ARB and Electatrac rear.

ETC.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts