Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I going to put in gears and run 35's on my 87 Toyota 4runner. I was going to put in 4.88 at first, but than I was thinking (that’s a bad thing I spend more money) it seems like everyone likes the 5.29's. The one problem I run into is worrying about the teeth getting to small on the ring and pinion and breaking. I think I might go to the real low end and put in 5.71's but that problem with the ring and pinion teeth breaking comes up again. I would like to hear from some of you about the 5.29's and the 5.71's. Remember this is the daily driver for now cause I'm a student and work on a farm that doesn't pay [email protected]#K.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The 4.88s and 5.29s you dont have to worry about breaking. It is the 5.71s that are really weak. If you want more torque, go with the 5.29s...

KC

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
Hmmmm.....

Daily driving, 5.29s.

Trail use only, with a marlin ultimate, 4.10s (more strength).

I've broken 5.29s, and I know others who have also. Heck, I've seen 4.10s break.

What do I run? 5.29s. If I had it to do over, I'd go with 4.10s for the added strength. I've got the "ultimate" setup, so for off road, I've got the gears to pull it off.

But, until they all break and need replacing, it's 5.29s

·
Registered
414 Posts
I run 5.71's on my ifs d.d and have yet to break them. I'm doing the sas next week and I am still gonna run them. I need to sell the ifs gears(cheap price), so if you are interested email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
691 Posts
do 5.29's, anything less and ur acceleration will be horrendus.

of course it is still bad with 5.29's, but what can u do........:flipoff2:

·
Registered
478 Posts
529's are really low. I would go with 4.88's even though this will give you around stock gearing w/ 35's I have seen alot more 4.88's around than 5.29's. Basically what I am saying is that go w/ which ever ones you can get cheaper, my 5.29's are too low but again i am running 33's. You want stock gearing for 2wd and you get your low gearing from you t-case.. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
854 Posts
OOP'S said:
4:88 with 35's and it is fine, but I am old so I drive slow anyway!!!!!:D
You also have a V6. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have 5.29's w/ a spool in the rear and 35's. Works great! No problems w/ teeth or anything (knock on wood). Get a good quality gear set like US gear, Percision, Richmond, etc. and have someone who really knows what they are doing set it up for you.
Go with 5.29's w/ 35's. If you were to run 33's then I would go with 4.88's.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
stay the hell away from 5:71 gears they are way to weak and big. If you plan on doing any hard hore rock crawling you will break them.

·
Registered
393 Posts
johnygspot said:
529's are really low. I would go with 4.88's even though this will give you around stock gearing w/ 35's I have seen alot more 4.88's around than 5.29's. Basically what I am saying is that go w/ which ever ones you can get cheaper, my 5.29's are too low but again i am running 33's. You want stock gearing for 2wd and you get your low gearing from you t-case.. Just my 2 cents

Double check your numbers there.

The stock ratio of 4.11s goes with a stock tire size of 225/75-15, which is barely 28" diameter tire. If you divide 4.11 by 28 you get a conversion factor of 0.147. If you multiply that conversion factor by 35 (tire diam.), you end up with 5.15. Not quite 5.29 but much closer than 4.88.

If the the 35's are being motivated by 4 cylinders, its not a bad idea to have slightly lower final gearing than stock. Your engine rpms may be higher on the highway, but it will last longer slightly undergeared than way overgeared.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have 4.30's in mine because my factory e-locker came out of an automatic 4Runner and I didn't want to do a swap, so I just found an open V6 rear with 4.30's and bolted it up. I have a doubler for the trail with stock gears. It takes a little to get the 35's up to speed but hey, it ain't no rice rocket and never will be. I'd like to go lower but I'm happy, if anything I'll do the 4.7's in the case and stick with te 4.30's. I can't get even close to 65 unless it's downhill and with the wind at my back. Forget going up a mild hill on the highway, 3rd gear is your friend.
What, my truck has a fifth gear? You'd never know since it's never been in fifth!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I dont remember doing any math hum. However you may be correct, all I am saying is that you are splitting hairs. Not many people are getting rid of 5.29's as 4.88's or at least when I was looking. Eventually my rig will go dedicated so I went w/ more playing room hence 5.29's

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
4.10's and forget about 5th gear.

·
Registered
25,025 Posts
How about, why and how are you running 35s on your IFS DD rig? Very few of us have done this, and fewer were happy with it.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
wow Hank....that's a lot of tire for an IFS Runner. Your little idler arm will be crying. My choice would be 5.71 US GEAR brand gears....and set up by a pro....not a buddy's buddy that has "done many sets" with no problem:blender:

edit-------- My DD work truck is a 88 Runner with bald 31's and 5.29 gears with factory automatic. Talk about good off the line :)

·
Registered
34,267 Posts
johnygspot said:
I dont remember doing any math hum. However you may be correct, ...
Uh may be? of course he is right, math don't lie:D man some won't fess up to being wrong no matter what hu:flipoff2: price is same 4:88;s to 5:71's...& I ran 4 years on the Rubicon on 33 to 38's lockrights F&R with 5:71's, never broke them...or a birf, but did sheare off all the hub body studs:eek: was on 38.5x16x15 TSL's at the time, did not notice untill I was airing up in tahoe though;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts