Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having second thoughts about my gear selection. I just purchased a set of 4.88s for my fj62 (stock engine, stock automatic transmisssion, stock transfercase). I am planning on running between a 36" and a 38" tire. I'm not exactly sure what size b/c I haven't done the SOA (most likely on OMEs) yet and I'm not sure what's going to fit.

This truck is very much a daily driver and I don't want to lose it's streetability. With the stock 4.10 diffs and the stock 28" tires, 5.29s don't seem so steep with this size of tire...right (with the overdrive auto of coure)? I'm maily concerned with driveablility on the street and the trail. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
2" difference in tire is going to make a difference in gearing.

Do the math, if the stock tires were 28", then moving up to 36" is a 28.5% increase in size. You have 4.11's now, so to get the truck back to the original gearing and 36's you'd have to increase (lower) the gearings by 28.5%: 5.28. That's nearly identical to 5.29. There's your answer.

If you go to 38" tires, the increase is size (from the stock 28") is 35.7", which is a 7.2% difference from the ratio above. In layman's terms, should you choose to run 38" tires, and 5.29 gears, you'll be running at about 7% higher gears than you were stock.

I'm bored and on a roll, so I'll add a third tire size, 37" (I'm not aware of a good daily driving tire bigger than 37"). That's a 32% increase in size. With 5.29's, you'll be running at about 4% higher gears than stock.

Clear as molasses???

·
Moderating Midget
27,537 Posts
I drove David Reljac's truck the other night with a 2F, 4 speed (H42), 5,29's and 37" MTR's.

This Cruiser had AWESOME pickup. He has a welded rear and I barked second gear with a 2F and 37's in the parking lot! Funny!

For your application, 4.88's seem deep enough.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you do run 5.29s, you'll have to run a FF rear end, unless you want to grind the snot out of your gears. :(

Unless you already have one. Sounds like a bad 62! :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
well I know for a fact that he is right about grinding the teeth I had to grind a good chunk off my 4.88's I couldnt imagine what I would have to do to 5.29's and I ran 39 boggers on my truck hear for about a month when I did my spring over and the truck did fine in low range but on the street it lived up to its name a pig. It did not like it at all and I have 4.88's like I said. Iwould like to go FF myself and get 5.29's but dont have the cash

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts