Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently regeared my axles from 4.10's to 4.88's in my '98 TJ. I have no clue how far my speedometer is off now. I run 32" BFG A/T's and it's a 2.5L if that matters. I have a feeling it's reading 5 mph faster.

·
Registered
333 Posts
find one of those digital cop signs that tell you your speed....always has worked for me :laughing:

you could also change your speedo gear to fix your speedometer

·
Registered
306 Posts
Don't use the speedo, use the odometer. Find a road with mile posts and drive 2-5 of them and see how far off your odo is compared to real (percentage). Then buy a speedo gear that same percentage different than what you have now. If you read lower than real, buy less teeth. If you read more miles than real, buy more teeth. What do you have now? Pull it and see, crawl under your Jeep with a 1/2" wrench. Be sure to get the plastic housing rotated to the right position for the tooth count you have and will buy.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate all this help but I'm going to order a speedo today, should I get a 43 tooth? That's what all of the charts say.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
You're probably going to have to purchase through the dealer anyway, may as well ask their opinion as well. They should tell you the same as the chart.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Drive 1 mile, if the odometer reads 1.1 then you are 10 percent over. Get a new speedo gear with 10 percent more teeth than the one you have.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Drive 1 mile, if the odometer reads 1.1 then you are 10 percent over. Get a new speedo gear with 10 percent more teeth than the one you have.
I suggested that too. Apparently the OP is content with a good guess and others recommendations rather than being sure. OP, good luck Sport.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I suggested that too. Apparently the OP is content with a good guess and others recommendations rather than being sure. OP, good luck Sport.
Didn't mean any disrespect to your first post, just kinda went right by it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts