Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

· Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hello again guys. Sold my old Samurai last year, built a turbo BMW, and missed crawling too much so decided to pick up another project.

Gathering from what I have learned from building the Samurai, I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this build. I wanted a 4 door, a rig that has AC and a heater, and some other stuff

The plan:

1.6 16v
Ringr adapter with W56
Dual toy cases, 2.28 in front 4.7 in rear
Toyota axles with ARBs f/r
YJ leafs
35s

Found a very clean 1994 4 door Sidekick for $1500 that runs well, and that was the beginning. I wanted to acquire most the parts I needed for the build before I started tearing it down, so I scoured craigslist every day for the parts I needed. Picked up most of the parts at once from different people.

Got already built axles for dirt cheap. I know how expensive it is to build axles, and buying them already built is definitely the way to go.

Pretty rough axles though. Steering stops are shit, found a hole in the front diff that was covered by JB weld, the 5.29 welded third's gears were all chipped, but that is craigslist I suppose.

Fixed everything and rebuilt it, painted and buttoned up. I picked up 2 5.29 ARB third members and put those bad boys in.

Got a ringr setup from a fellow pirate at a great price. With it I got 2 turned down toyota clutches, a new throwout bearing, pressure plate, and Sidekick manual bellhousing.

· Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured I gathered enough parts to start tearing it down. Started this weekend, this is bringing it up to date.

Started with the front

Finished the fun job of cutting off all the old brackets and cleaning up the frame

I had a buddy draw up some frame plates in CAD so I can get the cnc'd out. Will have those sometime this week hopefully.

· Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great start ! Are you going with leafs ? or coils ?
I'll be running YJ leafs front and rear for now. I'm sure later down the road it will be linked. I will be playing with leaf packs and shackle setups to get the most flex out of the YJ's that I can. When I first got my Samurai years ago it was on YJ's and I was very impressed with how much travel I had with leaf springs.

I want at least one pic of the 635CSI...:D
Boy what a fun car. Unfortunately I'm selling it to fund this build, but it is a blast to daily drive.

Holset H1C off a 12v Cummins
30 lb injectors
front mounted intercooler
wastegated @ 10 psi for reliability's sake

good score on the rngr.. i wanna do the same with my samurai but jeez those things aren't cheap
Yeah they definitely aren't cheap. And that's not counting the clutch you need, plus the w56 and toy cases. I have about 1200 into the full setup so far, but this is my ideal drivetrain and I know I'll love it.

· Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got the rear leaf hangers tacked in, jacked up the front axle to see what shackle angle was at ride height and noticed the axle was way too far back. In order to move the axle forward I moved the shackle hanger about 2.5" forward and got a set of 84-88 rear Toyota leaf springs with the offset center pin. These pics is what ride height would be. I think I'll push the rear mounts a tad bit forward to increase the shackle angle a little more and move the axle forward a tad more. I'm a believer that a lot of up travel is overrated.

· Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Saw it in person today definitely gonna be a sweet little trail rig. I only know one other person with one of these so not too many out there.
Thanks man!

Frame plates welded on yet ? Iv'e got a set from RockFab but haven't welded them on yet...
They didn't come out too well. Probably on my end of not getting the cardboard mockup totally right. It's going to take quite a bit of grinding and fitting to get it to fit right, I might just cut down the portion that does fit well and use that. We'll see. I didn't know anybody made frame plates for Sidekick's or I definitely would have just bought them. Oh well!

· Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Doesn't fit too bad. Just a little trimming to do to have it fit well.

Front crossmember fully welded

Was hoping to be able to use an IFS box that I got in a deal, but got it in place on the frame and it obviously won't work. The picture is the axle at ride height. I'll have to find an FJ60/80 box for the forward swing pitman arm.

· Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up an FJ60 box today, anybody know if I can use my IFS pitman arm on my FJ60 box?

Trimmed the frame plates to fit well also.

Unfortunately coming down to the last few weeks of the semester which means I have 4 papers due in a few weeks not to mention finals coming. Hoping to hammer out my papers this week and be able to keep progress going on it. Hopefully be done with the front soon and start on the rear.

Ordered some ARB parts like switches, solenoids, etc as well as 2.5 14" FOA resi's. Will be placing an order on some 35" Goodyear Kevlars soon as well. Keep tuned!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.